Safety in Nairobi

Hi All,

I am from India and got a offer from and IT company from Kenya, Nairobi. Please brief me how safe Nairobi is to live with family for an expat. I saw some videos in tube showing daylight robbery(picking valuables from vehicles stopped in signal) and carjacking :o . I need to drive alone around Nairobi for official purposes on a day to day basis. After viewing those shocking videos myself finding difficult to take a decision about the move :( .

Guys who live there for sometime please give an insight on this. Your response is greatly appreciated... :)

Hi Aarus, I only lived for a few months in Nairobi, but if you follow some rules it is absolutely manageable to travel through Nairobi safly. If you should take the public transport it's advisable not to use your mobile or show it in any form. Make your calls or text messages when you arrived at a safe place. Otherwise, you will make yourself interesting for thieves. Don't text with your mobile while you are walking down the street. Your inattentiveness unfortunately has the same effect for thieves. Avoid to travel after sunset; if you are still on the streets after dawn, take a taxi to get back safe and sound to your family. Nevertheless, all Kenyans are really friendly and open-minded. Don't be afraid through those videos, you will have a great time with those peoples!:) Karibu to Kenya and wish you a great start!

Thank you very much Cerin for your valuable advice. . :)

I agree with Cerin.
I stayed in Nairobi for 5 years.
I like Kenya.I am From Korea.
Thank you

Thank you ainbiz for sharing your experience.
I have been into S.Korea for a year and the days were awsome. I never worried about security there.

Thank you