Malta Visa for Australians

Hi, Hopefully some one can help me. I've been exploring the possibility of my wife & I retiring to Malta. The more I look, the more it seems impossible. I've seen one visa where you have to buy a property for a minimum of 400,000 Euros,but this is out of the question. Are there any Australians who have successfully gained long term visas. Any advise would be greatly appreciated

Malta Global Residency Programme

Introduced in June 2013, the Malta Global Residency Programme allows people who buy or rent a property in Malta and direct their income to Malta to qualify from a residence permit.

In order to qualify for residency, under the new Global Residence Programme, one needs to buy a property of €220,000 or over (if the property is in the South of Malta or in Gozo) or of a minimum value of €275,000 for properties in Central and Northern Malta. Foreign nationals who are interested in renting a property, can also do so and they are eligible for Residency given that the annual rental value is of €9,600 (or €800 monthly) in Malta and €8,750 (or €730 monthly) in Gozo or the South of Malta.

No bonds or guarantees are required and no minimum stay is applicable. This residency programme is particularly attractive to non-EU nationals.

Thank you so much! I think we can do it.