Lecturer salary

Hi,

I am considering to move in Jordan.
I am looking to apply job as a lecturer. I hardly find the range of salary as lecturer and all the level ( professor and assoc prof) Could anyone able to provide me any info?... It is okay if it rough figure as I just need an initial information.

How does the higher education in Jordan and how easy to apply the position? Would they consider female application?

I think from experience,  you will be making a huge mistake! why? nepotism
even if you get lucky, you will make 900 jd maximum.  the universities are really horrible places to work.. I would never want to teach here..good luck..if you have specific questions feel free to ask me

Thank you for your reply.
Would you tell me the detail of what you meant the universities are really horrible place? I also would love to hear more about your experience.
Thanks

oh wow..you are from Malaysia..I lived in taught in penang ..USM. .

Saya chuba makan Nasi Goreng. . :D

kamu mahu cuba? yes I see you can speak malay little bit anyway nice to know you.. Would you like to tell me abt your experience?

Saya chuba makan Laksa  :D

kamu mungkin suka makan sangat sangat.. hahaha.. hey I am serious.. are you a lecturer?

Welcome in board...

i advise you to not hear to Nonsense

it seems both of us are academics... as assistant Prof. you get in Jordan ca. 1500 JD (ca. 2100$)
As associated Prof. ca. 1900 JD und as a full Prof. ca. 2400 JD.

It is not enough to save money, but enough to live...

Hi,

yeah, thank you!!.. I appreciates that. Yeah I work as an academics.. nice to know you here!

So, if you decide to come here, you have to know that there are 2 types of universities, the first one, is supported by the government, the second one is private universities....

The government one is better than the private one. As a foreigner, you must sign an annual contract, which will be extended yearly, if they still want you.

Any further info's, please don't hesitate to post.

mohdq2002 wrote:

Welcome in board...

i advise you to not hear to Nonsense

it seems both of us are academics... as assistant Prof. you get in Jordan ca. 1500 JD (ca. 2100$)
As associated Prof. ca. 1900 JD und as a full Prof. ca. 2400 JD.

It is not enough to save money, but enough to live...

Lots of Jordanians can only dream about these kind of salaries.
It depends a lot about your lifestyle and your personal situation but you can live  like a king (or queen) here and good savings too

Hi Primadona, Thanks for your reply but can I know what do you mean by that as I am not really sure if I understand. Is that unusual to get that figure? Also, to what extent the lifestyle actually affecting the living? Should they being stingy (i mean save from buying things? dont know....

Hi could you please provide me more info about this? Thank you

I think it depends what field one is teaching, how much this knowledge is needed. I think like all around the world, it depends on where one has studied, a well recognized university for example, teaching experience in a well recognized place etc..  If one has a high level of education, one should apply for a higher level, otherwise one will not get paid much since they don't really care about perfection in English. I know a case where my English seems to be better than a local with university degree. In this case the local will fill the place for a rather smaller sallary even with university degree. If one wants more and has to offer more, then it is wise to start from a higher level since climbing the sallary ladder  will be difficult as they will say if you are that good, why didn't a better place hire you!! I don't agree that locals don't get high teaching sallaries even in English. One must not forget it is about teaching methods and education and these can be obtained abroad. Who has the money can chose both name and reputation. It is not only about gratuating as a perfect English speaker since no matter how good the teacher is, if the student isn't, then no force in the world can make this person learn anything! It is the same about doing ones job as a teacher. One should also keep in mind it is not a fair world, lots of people with great knowledge stay behind! One needs both knowledge and luck, sometimes even more luck than knowledge...

wynakmal wrote:

Hi Primadona, Thanks for your reply but can I know what do you mean by that as I am not really sure if I understand. Is that unusual to get that figure? Also, to what extent the lifestyle actually affecting the living? Should they being stingy (i mean save from buying things? dont know....

I can not say about the salary as lecturer at universities because I don't have insight of this.
It seems to me a bit to high for Jordanian standards, even when private universities are involved.
My only experiences about the fees which parents have to pay are extremely high and what you get back in return is not always in balance. For sure they want to make money as much as possible and not to invest in renovation or repairs or even to hire good and qualified personnel.

The life in Jordan is in some aspects cheap and in others not. Local food is cheap, if you want imported ingredients you have to pay a lot for it. Housing can be affordable, but if you want to live in a fancy or in a popular area, then it is expensive. Outdoor activities are normally expensive but if you are single then it will be no problem.