Buying and Shipping a Vehicle from Malta to Canada

Hi everybody my names Rob and its my first post here!

I have been to Malta and few times and loved the place. Somewhere I would definitely live in the future.

I have a situation where I am trying to buy a vehicle from Malta and ship it to Halifax, Canada. I have someone reliable to purchase the vehicle in Malta so that is not an issue. I also have things lined up well once it arrives in Canada. What I need advice on is the paperwork involved in buying a vehicle there through a third party and also what is needed to ship it to Canada.

If someone has advice on buying the vehicle, what shipping company to use, and how to line up the shipping paperwork I would greatly appreciate it. Has anyone on here done something similar?

Thanks again and if anyone needs advice on working in Canada and in particular the oil industry out west then get in touch.

Thanks again

I am  assuming this is a classic car that you are exporting?

This link gives you all the info you need regarding exporting the vehicle.
All you have to do is download the form in the link and fill it in. The current owner will need to sign it and go with your friend to hand it in to be processed.
http://www.transport.gov.mt/land-transp … -exporting
Once this is done the vehicle will have no number plates or licence so will have to be trailered or placed in a container for transporting.
As for shipping I would recommend going via an agent who will sort out the paperwork for you ( look in the moving section for recommendations).

Terry

:) hi rob.
Only joined yesterday so certainly my very first post. On your car/ vehicle dilemma I unfortunately don't have relevant info on paperwork or shipping. But if you already owned a vehicle In Malta then might be ok. But why the hassle my main concern as a qualified mechanic would be how compatible would a vehicle from a warm climate fare out in -30  winters in canada. Certainly would not have dual battery's / winter kit etc. Just keep in mind also shipping cost alone??  Just my opinion but local purchase might b better. Also very stringent emission  laws so would do homework before buying from the sunny clime

If you get a chance to reply. As a qualified hgv mechanic. I am seriously looking at a good paying job in canada. Mining/ oil  have researched some main dealer garages but pay not great.  I would be greatly if you could give me an idea of all taxes I would have to pay if grossing between 85/100k  dollars.  Was figuring around 20/25  then convert back to euros the end result looks v similar to back here
Regards
Nat smyth

Thanks Terry. Ya it will be a classic car which are not as easy to come by over here, probably a Land Rover which I am highly fond of.

I checked out those forms and have been going through the link. Seems straight forward enough.

I will also check out the other section and see what people have posted about transporting the car out of Malta.

Sound

Hi Nat,

I am interested in a classic vehicle for myself which are not too easy to come by. It is easy enough to winterize something like a Land Rover and it can always be kept indoors when not being driven. No major laws once the car is over 15 years old but it has to be safe etc.

'As a qualified hgv mechanic. I am seriously looking at a good paying job in canada. Mining/ oil  have researched some main dealer garages but pay not great.  I would be greatly if you could give me an idea of all taxes I would have to pay if grossing between 85/100k  dollars.  Was figuring around 20/25  then convert back to euros the end result looks v similar to back here'

About a third roughly. If you can work as a consultant which some oil companies allow then less again 15-20%.

I have my own company and make 6 figures a year. Tax for me is around 17% after write offs etc.

Its a great country for high paying work with friendly people as long as you don't mind the snow! I love to snowboard so it suits me fine. Send me a private message if you want more info.

RobAnthony wrote:

Thanks Terry. Ya it will be a classic car which are not as easy to come by over here, probably a Land Rover which I am highly fond of.

I checked out those forms and have been going through the link. Seems straight forward enough.

I will also check out the other section and see what people have posted about transporting the car out of Malta.

Sound

You will save a couple of grand buying it from the UK!
Look on ebay and get a qualified engineer to check it over before buying.
Shipping would be easier to arrange as well.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from= … acat=29751

Terry

Hi  Rob,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Your other post is now on the Canada forum https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 01#2339394

if you want to give advise about working in Canada, you should please post on the Canada forum. Thank you