Accommodation in Cape Town

Hi everybody,

We are looking for info on accomodation in Cape Town, to help us complete the Life in South Africa Guide.

Do you have any pratical informations which could help new expats in Cape Town? (for example: infos on house or appartment renting, leases and rental agreements, legislation in South Africa regarding property acquisition)

Please share in this discussion.

Thanks for your participation :)

Hi Expat.com team.

You kicked me off the site for something previously when all I wanted to do was help people. I am from Cape Town and I help expats find a home when they come to CPT. I am a qualified Estate Agent and I have helped many expats with their accommodation situation. Would it be possible for me to offer a service to any foreigners/returning South Africans looking to find a place to stay?

Hi Luke,

advertisement is not allowed on this forum. We will soon release our new business directory and we'll be very happy to register your business once the directory is ready.

Thanks for your comprehension,

Julien

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum]

[Moderated: no free ads on the forum please]

Hi.

It is relatively easy to find a place to rent in Cape Town, for expats areas to look for is Gardens, Green Point, Sea Point, Moullie Point, (for reasonable prises) Camps Bay, Waterfront,  Fresnay, ( for high end Prises) Observatry, Woodstock, Mowbrey, Rosebank, Ronderbosch (for cheaper prices)  All depending on size, how new and luxurious the flat/house is.

The times I have had to look for accommodation I have had a place to stay within a week. People are generally relaxed with rental agreements (just draw something up in the hand) generally you will pay a month rent in advance.

A site to check for finding accommodation is www.gumtree.co.za also look for Cape Ads on a Thursday (Newspaper)   
(I am not sure if this is advertising, or just sharing useful information, no gain for me anyway)

Regards Sarah :-)

The rent is usually more expensive around the student areas or business districts. These are areas like claremont, rondebosch, waterfront and so on. They are not very flexible when it comes to drafting rental agreements they are usually very stringent cause the competition is rather high for these apartments.