Open bank account at Citibank in Bahrain?

Hello?? :D

I am Edward Jinkeun, from Korean.
I came Bahrain last end of October.

Actually, I want to open Savings account &  Current account with check card.
I have working visa & CPR

What should I bring to bank office for opening bank account?
Is it just CPR & PASSPORT enough?

Thanks for giving your attention.
Happpppppppy New YEAR!! :D

hi,

i think the best thing to do is call CitiBank who could give you the exact requirements

here is their contact info : https://www.citibank.com/bahrain/bhgcb/ … tactus.htm

T&R
Arjun

I'd assume your CPR should be enough but as simboy said best check with the bank itself as different banks may have different requirements

Thanks guys~I m gonna check your advice as soon as possible.
however I already sent e-mail to Citibank, They don't answer. That's why I posted my question in this blog.
anyway~Thanks again.

jingunee wrote:

Thanks guys~I m gonna check your advice as soon as possible.
however I already sent e-mail to Citibank, They don't answer. That's why I posted my question in this blog.
anyway~Thanks again.

Call or go into a branch and ask...doubtful if you'd get a timely reply by email anywhere in the Middle East !!
Maybe look online if they have the info on the website

I think you would need  your payslip for the last three months and a letter from your employer stating that you are employed by them and what your salary is. That's what I needed when I opened my bank account.

You will need:
a) 2 forms of identification - so take your CPR and Passport.
b) a letter from your employer.
c) cash to deposit :D

Good luck!

I went to CITI Bank and you do require ID, letter from your company and recent signed payslips.
If you like golf I recommend you do apply for a credit card as you get one free game per month at the Royal Golf Club.

Just to tack on - if you are a US citizen banks will also require a completed W-9 tax form...and no, they won't print it out for you even though it is one page and takes a few seconds to complete

Thanks for answering.

I opened account on local bank~

anyway~Happy Newyear :D

relwell wrote:

Just to tack on - if you are a US citizen banks will also require a completed W-9 tax form...and no, they won't print it out for you even though it is one page and takes a few seconds to complete

Does anyone know if local banks require a W-9 form for US citizens?

I've been with HSBC for some time, but I recently got about a 10-page notice from them telling me I have to provide them with a W-9 and all sorts of other stuff or my accounts will be frozen. While I have nothing to hide from the US gov and I file my taxes every year, I do not agree to provide this data to my non-US bank. Therefore, I'm happy to close my HSBC accounts and go to a local bank if they don't require my life history, blood tests, DNA samples, etc. just to have an account.

Assuming it is relatively simple at a local bank, any recommendations on which is better than others? Preferably with branches in Seef.

Thanks

The issue would be is that the US wants to keep an eye on what you make in case you break the ceiling into taxable income.  Turns out, people lie.

As far as I know, it doesn't matter what bank you use because the banks don't make the rules - they follow the rules issued by the country in question.  If you are a US citizen you follow the US rules when it comes to banking.  If you want to circumvent those, if you can circumvent those, that would be something I wouldn't post on the forum...or anywhere.

I can't help much with the local bank - hopefully someone here can help you out with that!

I perfectly understand the not wanting to submit more personal information etc.so good luck with what you decide to do!

I understand your point Relwell.
To be clear, I'm not looking to circumvent any US rules. I file and pay US taxes every year. I report all of my non-US assets in accordance with the various regulations and forms too.

I've been living outside the US for many years and have had bank accounts at numerous non-US based banks in various countries. Until the notice I got from HSBC recently, I have never once been asked to provide this data. I seem to remember HSBC settling with the US not long ago about sharing info with them, which is why HSBC is now requiring this of me (and all other US citizens).

I can't help but think that local banks have no such agreements and don't care about the US' rules. I need to find this out for sure. The whole issue is a matter of principle for me - not a matter of hiding anything from my dear Uncle Sam.

I believe even local banks would ask you for all these information, after the FATCA (Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act).