Do you carry your Civil ID wherever you go?

Buenos Dias Expats!

Reading the paper has become quite a despairing affair, with most headlines starting with Expat always ending in deportation. It would seem the wheels are in motion to bring the ratios to more favorable terms.

The reasons for arrests range from public intoxication to residency violation. however, sometimes they also slip in "not carrying valid civil ID", which made me wonder, is it illegal to walk around without your civil ID?

Personally, I do not carry it unless I am taking my wallet someplace, however if I am going for a run, which could last anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours and sees me running on major highways such as the 30, the 40, the Gulf Road, the 3rd Ring Road and the 4th, and being passed by more than one police car.

are the expats in question getting arrested for not having their civil ID on their person at the time of questioning? given the number of forms i had to fill out i have committed my residency number, my bank account number, passport number etc. to memory, meaning if it is a matter of verification, i can easily regurgitate it. but is that acceptable?

if we have any civil (not commercial) lawyers amongst us, please do shed some light on this situation. not that it will impact my case directly, i refuse to remember to carry my Civil ID on me if i am going on a stroll with my wife foe example around our apartment for fear of losing/ misplacing it.

the floor is yours.

In my home country you are required by law to have your ID card with you at all times. Not doing so will get you a fine, and in case you are found at the wrong place at the wrong time you will be brought in until they figure out who you are.

I suspect the same is true for Kuwait.

crap i was afraid you would say that Riba :S

I do

I always carry my civil ID with me because someone's always asking me to see it...   :nothappy:   

While I don't think it's illegal not to carry it around I think it can be used against you if they don't have identification. It's a form of identification to identify who you are and it would be pointless to have one and leave it at home all the time... I mean you never know when and what could happen to you but you wouldn't be helping anyone if no one knew who you are!

the reason i bring this up, and i know this is an unfair and incorrect comparison, however i did read that in Arizona it was considered illegal for police to racially profile people and ask to see ID from "suspects" whom they considered to be "illegal aliens". hence why i ask here.

stupid civil ID. guess i better start carrying it with me...

not..

i like to live dangerously.