Cost of living for 2 in Malacca

Hi All

I will be moving to Malacca in Feb 2015 with my wife, my offer is for RM7500/ month. (Tax,accommodation and transport not included)

Can anybody please shed some light if possible about cost of living in that part of Malaysia because as far as most other topics I have read here were discussing KL for the most part.
Will the fore mentioned amount be enough for a family of 2 to make a respectable living without compromising safety and health after paying the minimum basics every month?

Regards,

Malacca is not much cheaper than KL as many products are price controlled in Malaysia. So apart from say street food you can rely on other information you have read. Property rentals will be a little lower for marginally acceptable properties, but premium ones will cost the same as KL City. The salary level is a bit low but quite common level these days.

Thanks for the reply. Yes salary is low indeed but the thought of living in Malaysia is forcing me to brush it under the rug.

So what is the great attraction about Malaysia?  I certainly would not want to live in Malacca as it is so isolated and not many expats, except a few working at the industry that is located there. There is no beach and the water is the most polluted in the world (its the busiest seaway in the world). I think you may find it is not what you are expecting. You will definitely need a car in that location. Malacca has no public transport links i.e. trains, and a few buses. The tourist area (UNESCO) is a minute patch in the centre, the rest is a concrete jungle.

Precisely what I have heard of Malacca.But my job involves a lot of travelling primarily within Malaysia and later to other neighbouring south east asian countries as well. And after spending last 7 years or so in south,central and west Africa Malacca to begin with can't be that bad after all.For the first 6 months I will be at Malacca then most probably have to shif up towards the northern territory.

Hi,

I'm a Malaysian, currently based in Melaka and I know of some expatriates living around this area. I'm actually a tutor and I'm teaching some of the expatriates the local language, Malay. I have heard from some of them that they actually love this place a lot and the place where they are staying is not too close to town area hence it's quite a peaceful and quiet life there.

Do message me personally if you need more info.