5 days in KSA...5 more questions!

Thanks everyone for your responses and messages, they've been very helpful. 

I've spent the last 5 days in a hotel in Dammam, and have slowly (by trial and error) pieced together how things work here during Ramadan…thus my schedule is basically “graveyard shift”  as that's when the restaurants in my neighborhood open…and it's way too walk around during the day. 

Now that I've been here a few days….I have…of course a few more questions.

I've assumed that most all major stores are simply closed during this month (Ramadan)?  Or is this just in my neighborhood?

Are the big wonderful malls which I've heard so much about open? (if so..day or night?)

How about taxis? How much are they? Any suggestions for a reliable company?

Is it accustomed to leave gratuity to restaurant servers, or room service? (if so what percent?)

After I receive my “aqama” (I think that's what it's called) my KSA  ID-card. I will be looking to either purchase or lease a vehicle.  Any suggestions regarding this?  I'll be in KSA for 2 years so I'm not sure if I want to buy a car or lease one.  (I'm thinking buying may be cheaper…however leasing might be much less of a liability)  Any comments or personal-experiences would be helpful.

Thanks again…your responses are truly appreciated.

Kind regards.

Are the big wonderful malls which I've heard so much about open? (if so..day or night?)

During Ramadan they open at 9:00 p.m.  After Ramamdan they are only closed during prayer times (generally)with many stores only opening at 4:00 p.m.

How about taxis? How much are they? Any suggestions for a reliable company?

Taxis in the Kingdom are supposed to run on the meter.  If you find a driver you like you might be able to work something out with him for more consistent work.

Is it accustomed to leave gratuity to restaurant servers, or room service? (if so what percent?)

It is not part of the Saudi culture to tip, but many expats do and many service workers have come to expect (or at least hope for) it.  Remember, their salaries are terribly low...much lower than even those service workers who work back home in the same jobs. 

So, leave a little something, if the job is good.  I even tip the guy who pumps my gas (I don't pay for gas, so it's not that onerous a price).

After I receive my “aqama” (I think that's what it's called) my KSA  ID-card. I will be looking to either purchase or lease a vehicle.  Any suggestions regarding this?  I'll be in KSA for 2 years so I'm not sure if I want to buy a car or lease one.  (I'm thinking buying may be cheaper…however leasing might be much less of a liability)  Any comments or personal-experiences would be helpful.

Only you can really answer this.  But a piece of information might help you decide.  You CANNOT leave the Kingdom on an exit only visa with a car registered in your name.  You CANNOT leave the Kingdom at ANY time if you have any outstanding traffic fines.

If it was me.  I'd lease.

Mr. Stretch,

You are the man!! Thanks so much for your prompt replies. 

I took a taxi to Al Shatea Mall last night and had a blast.  And wow!!...what a mall, I can't wait to take my kids to the top floor.  It was so nice to actually see some people too, I'm now reassured that women and children really do exist here.

Thanks again,

By the way, do you call yourself Mr. Stretch because your tall?  I'm 6'4...and have acquired the nicknames of "stretch" and "too-tall" off and on over the years.