Celta Qualified Native English Speaker Looking For Teaching Job

I am a native English speaker and have a degree in computing and  the Celta ( Cambridge Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults). I am looking for work as an English teacher in Malaysia. I would consider any location provided I am given a work visa, accommodation and medical cover.

Hi Baybars and welcome to Expat.com :)

I invite you to post your ad in the Teaching jobs in Malaysia section please, it will help you.

Thanks

Priscilla  :cheers:

Thank you.

You may have a better chance by applying for IT-related work in Malaysia from offshore. A lot will depend on your experience and area of expertise. Whilst there are plenty of jobs to teach English in Malaysia, once again experience is vital and often only an extension of a dependent's visa is going to be possible and not an employment pass.

There are adverts freely available on the internet so suggest you get applying and see what is the response. Premier is one school that springs to mind.

However, you will NEVER get accommodation as part of the package. Not even teachers at international schools get that - although some do get an allowance towards accommodation. Flat shares are not that expensive anyway and range from RM500-RM1500 per month.

Your salary would be exceedingly low in Malaysia compared to the UK. Whether you are considered a Native English speaker will depend on a number of criteria.

Hi Malaysia isn't a big tefl country and most tefl teachers are local. The only real opportunities are with MOE funded projects on school via companies such as Brighton education. There are language schools but pay sucks.The teflers I know via this are either very experienced and paid relatively well - you seem to have no experience so not valid for you - or young and how do I delicately put this - young, attractive (mostly women) and err white. To put it bluntly in Malaysia native means white. Ok to be Asian and very experienced that is ok as companies can't get experienced staff so easily. But for the junior posts they have so many. So  do the math.

Thailand is a bigger market but again you would have some restrictions - can get jobs in Bangkok but less choice (I had a gf who was an properly qualified English teacher with ten years experience but was Asian and she had this issue). South Korea is another biggey and I have no idea if they are racially biased but somehow I suspect it. In all my years in  tefl 99% were white. Even to the extent in Thailand that a blonde attractive young east European gal with pathetic English got jobs easily over an Asian  with lots of experience and word perfect English.

IT there is  no such racial profiling and why not consider that instead?

If I can't find work in Malaysia I'll go to Saudi for a year then try again.

The situation probably wont change in a year but with more experience it will bode better. There are language schools springing up all the time. However, the profiling will not go away.

That's fine. I should have more money to play around with in a year from now so will be in a better position to stay in the country for a few weeks and find something. If not I can hop back on a plan and go elsewhere. You cannot change people's perceptions overnight.

Why so keen on Malaysia? It is expensive and as Indians  friends once  joked "Malaysia has successfully integrated all the worst aspects of every Asian culture into an unique culture" lol

So many Asian countries you can work in. How about Indonesia? Much more culture and more liberal overall.

Simply because most of the vacancies I saw for jobs in Indonesia required 3 years of experience. Thanks for the warning about culture, I despite desi culture with a passion so wouldn't be happy if some aspect crept into Malaysian society.

Desi culture is strong here. A Indian friend married a local Indian gal. Her parents tried to refuse as he was the wrong caste (higher one).

Happens in ENGLAND as well, in 2014. Makes me ill.