Night Hike - 2nd January 2015

Start the New Year with a bang...a night hike to Għajn Tuffieħa. Departure from Marsa Park & Ride.

2nd January 2015 at 10pm till 5am of the following day.

Bring with you flash light (torch light) & batteries; light snacks/chocolate; drinks (such as tea/coffee and water), warm clothes/jacket; umbrella (just in case) and a camera.

We will have a BBQ at the end, so bring with you a disposable BBQ set, cutlery, plates, your own food, etc,

Departure from Għajn Tuffieħa early morning, We will get private transport (van/coach) to drive us back to Marsa Park & Ride.

NOTE: There will be a minimal fee to cover the expenses - to be paid in advance. Fee and payment method will be advised in due course.

sounds like fun however ... i am disabled and walk with a stick so it would depend on your route to as wether i would wish to take part.. because i dont fancy falling over rocks in the dark lol

I will look out for more information and let you know if im interested in due course though :)

Hi robpw2,
Thanks for your message.
I will send you all the details as soon as we have the route finalised. We intend to use secondary roads to avoid both main roads (and thus traffic) as well as unbeaten path (and thus potholes, rocks, etc).
Departure is from the Marsa Park & Ride so that people would get there by bus. Most probably, we will head towards Ħal Farruġ, Siġġiewi, Rabat (from Ganpula area), Tas-Salib (l/o Rabat), Binġemma, Mġarr and we reach our final destination, Għaj Tuffieħa.
As I said, I will post more details as soon as we finalise the plan/route.
Regards,
Charlo

Hiking sounds great! I have family here now but I'd love to join in future hikes/outings.

Hi Nange,
This is the first one I am organising on this scale. So  future similar events will depend on how successful this one will be.
This is a family-friendly event. So feel free to join together with your family. They would have the opportunity to experience Malta forma different angle.
Regards,
Charlo

Thanks! I don't have kids, it's my parents who are elderly- and my brother. Yesterday my mum fell on a sidewalk and fractured her shoulder/humerus :(.
Ok- keep me posted and I may still join for the Christmas Eve concert.

I am sorry to hear about the accident. I hope that your mum is felling better.
As to the concert I will get back to you. I will send you my contact details in a private message.
See you on Wednesday.
Charlo

Hi Charlo,

a very good idea. I would like to join but although you wrote that is a family friendly event I can not see how could I manage a night walk with the kids and keep them awake all night.

Evi

pevi wrote:

Hi Charlo,

a very good idea. I would like to join but although you wrote that is a family friendly event I can not see how could I manage a night walk with the kids and keep them awake all night.

Evi

Hi Evi,
It's been a long time since we last talked. I think it was during last year's Christmas market. I hope you are OK.
As to the kids, you can try to convince them to have an afternoon nap before the event. We will stop in Għajn Tuffieħa for an early barbecued breakfast. Maybe you could organise something warm for your kids so that they would sleep on the beach. And once at home, they could sleep throughout the day.
Let me know if you would like to join.
Take care.
Charlo

Hello,
We will be interested in future walks!!! (back to England 1st Jan so will miss this one).
Helen ☺️

Jackman wrote:

Hello,
We will be interested in future walks!!! (back to England 1st Jan so will miss this one).
Helen ☺️

Hi Helen,
It's a pity that you will not be around for this one. I will post future events here. So keep an eye on the Expat.com. ;)
Wishing you all the best.
Charlo

Quadrantid Meteor Shower
The Quadrantid Meteor Shower is a brief shower that is estimated to peak some time between the night of January 2nd to the morning of January 3rd. The radiant of this shower is an area inside the constellation Boötes.
This meteor shower is one of the strongest meteor showers of the year. If the sky is clear (as the weather forecast is saying) we might be able to see meteors zapping  over our heads. The New Moon will not pose any problems as its unilluminated side will be facing the Earth.

IMPORTANT NOTICE
This event has been postponed to a later date (which will be communicated in due course) due to the bad weather, hail storm and extremely low temperatures.
The rain which poured non-stop around the clock in the past 24 hours made the route impracticable. I think it would be foolish to risk making this fun activity a dangerous one.
I trust you concur.