How to pass your free/leisure time

Since the day I arrived Kuwait, I was wondering how people here pass their free time. Men will be busy in their work and friends, where as, women will be busy with their household work and television, and sometimes gossiping. Couples get time for each other. But when it comes to singles, there is hardly any choice left apart from making friends. Ofcourse friends of same gender aren't preferred same as friends of opposite gender. I know this topic is changing its course, but friends, anything u talk upon will lead to this topic only.
Girls, try to make out difference between good and bad guys...
Boys, don't use gals...and don't give it all to them...

"Women will be busy with their household work and television, and sometimes gossiping."

Wait what... are you fucking kidding me? What rock did you just crawl out from? We're in the 21st century! Your comment is extremely offensive and sexist! The last time I checked women were just as busy with work and their friends. We do not stay home to cook and clean all day! What the hell is wrong with you? Gossiping too? Seriously you're too fucking much! In this day and age gender roles no longer exist and If this is how you regard women then it's not surprise you're still single! Want to know a way to pass your leisure time? BUY A FUCKING BOOK ABOUT FEMINISM OR SEXISM AND EDUCATED YOURSELF!

Unfortunately role gender is still very much a live in the middle east. It changes in time (but still to slow to my taste) and traditions and mindset you can't erase.
Yes, you see women work but how much procent of the population? What kind of work they usually do? How many are in high positions? How many women will stop when she's get married or get
children? The rates are very low.
Women are not traded equally and maybe on paper it does but certainly not in real life.

Every single women I know works! They do all sorts of jobs even high position ones and "men" jobs, it is completely normal and acceptable. These days there are even women who earn more than their male partners! Our lives do not stop because we get married or have kids. That is ridiculous and sexist! Women are treated (not traded we are humans not objects!) equally whether you think so or not. We are not inferior to men!

Go Tina

Support you more than a 100%. Yes, equality is required - we are all humans. Comprehensive EDUCATION is require however not dispensed.

However what I found interesting that similar ideas written by @taahariz15 echoed by women who are working. An interesting topic is what parents teach their sons and daughters about gender roles. 

Consider the region going through its dark ages. The reformation has not reached yet, hence some of the behaviour.   

Enjoy your Christmas an New Year.

@Tina:

I agree with everything you said but there are many people who not agree with you.
You and me are from the west with different opinion, culture, traditions and so on. You can not change a whole society or continent because you think you have the absolute truth or wisdom. These people who think different then you, think maybe the same.

Don't forget that you are an expat and work in Kuwait in a surrounding with people who have more higher standards then people with lower salary or jobs. Like the previous poster said is so true: education is the key to ban this.
And trust me, I hate to say that especially the moms are the ones who are responsible  because they are who raise their children (most of the fathers think that raising children is a responsibility of the women).
I once was a working career mom and earned more money than my husband  ;)  but now a stay at home mom and I am okay with that (for now).
I see many women who stays at home, doing only cleaning, chatting and.... that's it! If this is what they choose, why should  I say that this is wrong? It will be different when they are forced to stay at home because their husband demand so. Having hobbies or doing outdoor activities is not very common here. One of the important reasons is they have no money for it, the activities are expensive and with a  large family is difficult to arrange.

LOL ... this posting is just friggin hilarious!  There's just "so many things" I could say here that would just get me in a whole heap of trouble living in this country (a lot based on cultural and religious motivations in the region) soooo, I think I'll just set on the side, 'try' to keep my mouth shut, and be entertained... get 'em Tina!!!!  LOL

@primadonna: It doesn't matter where you're from. I know plenty of people who aren't Westerns who have different opinions, culture and traditions than I do yet see eye to eye with me on this topic. I don't think I have the absolute truth or wisdom it's about being a human and treating everyone equally because despite what sex we are all the same underneath! It doesn't matter where in the world I am, Kuwait or the states, I should still be treated as an equal because that it the humane and compassionate thing to do!

There's nothing wrong with a women choosing to stay home and being a housewife when it was her personal decision and if the husband earns enough to support the family however I'm not following the comment you made about not having hobbies or doing activities because they are too expensive. If the men does not earn enough to provide for the household then why isn't the women working? Because she is not allowed to? I don't understand why one wouldn't want to work if it was necessary to support and provide more for the family rather than being at home to clean and chat. It is possible to clean and work a full time job believe it or not without the assistance of a maid!

You say that you agree with everything that I am saying yet you make it sound like if I am wrong for defending it. This is not a discussion about truth or who agrees with me or not this is simply about the fundamental rights of being a human. You are a women too who I'm sure wouldn't accept being inferior to men so instead of defending it rise up to the occasion and take a stand against sexism!

Ladies :)

I agree with Tina; firstly the way the post was made seems to point towards the issue that men ALL work, women ALL stay at home, and the way it was phrased IS extremely offensive:

women will be busy with their household work and television, and sometimes gossiping.

that is pure and utter BS and should be stricken from the post, it implies that women do nothing.

now, Tina, thou art a fiery one! u took it to heart and put the poster in their place, good on you for doing that. however, we could do so without the name-calling i promise! can't we all just get along? i agree with you 100% that the comment was in fact sexist and rude, but eye for an eye  :cool: (pretend those are blindfolds and not sunglasses)

Primadonna raises a valid point in that yes, some men do opt for their wives to not work so that they can raise the kids at home, some force em, others request em. bottom line it depends on THE WOMAN and her BACKGROUND (rural vs. urban) as well as whether or not she wishes to work (or not).

HOWEVER!!! Primadonna & Tina: we are not talking about women being forced to stay at home, we are talking about the fallacy of assuming that ALL WOMEN GOSSIP AND WATCH TV. we are not debating gender roles in society, as much like our macro-counterparts (i.e. institutions, companies, countries etc.) we will never reach a solution.

NOW, from my POV, and i dont know about you, but reading the Original Post, I find a hint of someone wanting to find someone from the opposite sex without coming out and saying it upfront. notice the use of the following words:

Ofcourse friends of same gender aren't preferred same as friends of opposite gender. (Legacy: wait, why?)
I know this topic is changing its course, but friends, anything u talk upon will lead to this topic only.  (Legacy: ????)
Girls, try to make out difference between good and bad guys... (Legacy: and then what?)
Boys, don't use gals...and don't give it all to them... (Legacy: Heal the world! make it a better place!)

to me, this is a cry for companionship, to which i say, PLEASE NOTE THAT Expat.com IS NOT A DATING WEBSITE!
(Just in Case that is your intention, i may be wrong).

we have drifted so far away from the point that it is now a line, far, far on the horizon.  :offtopic:

Ladies, please do not allow a misinformed post to cause you anger.

I do however object to being told we live in the dark ages "/ not cool bro  :sosad:

Ok, still trying to hold my tongue here - lol

Legacy, for the most part, you did ok ‘trying' to walk that fine line… till your fifth paragraph (starting with "Primadonna raises a valid point") then you sorta swung into the regional zone yourself (not trying to offend you of course - lol) of defending the casually used culturally based male justification for a sexist inclined condescending mindset… (see, I didn't go into root causes of regional perception, hence the dark age conclusions and or said lack of reformation – trying to be a good boy!)  Good job of trying to change (steer) the direction … lol  :D

to err is human, to forgive is divine :D

I think everyone here should calm down and smoke some hasheesh lol. You have to chill out if you are going to endure working in kuwait. Your tolerance for BS has to shoot through the sky.

interesting post i so agree

I agree with legacy it was just a crying out loud to meet some girls around here!!

Anyone heard from the original poster or did he just pulled the trigger and disappeared!! (I am assuming he might have sent a direct message to one of the ladies here!!!)

@Tina: On another note I was really interested in the Roku and messaged you about it but never heard back from you!!

@mohdhm: Oh that was me being calm and I have a very high tolerance for BS I was a bartender in my past life so dealing with idiots is just part of the job but when an asshole comes along and says a rude and offensive comment that's degrading to all women then you better believe shots will be fired!

@Ahmad: I replied to your message dude! Check your inbox :)

language Tina this is a PG forum  :o:P

and Roku, is that like Reiki? :P

kidding; i googled it, its a streamer

Language? I'm just glad heads didn't roll.

So sad, housemaids don't have leisure time.