Internet Needed for Two Weeks

Does anyone know what device and company we need to select so that we can have internet while in Santiago for two weeks? Please be specific, I am not tech savvy! We are having a very hard time finding some place to stay that has dependable internet. It is not a luxury for us, but a necessary item.

I know of no company that will give you a two week contract.  If you can't find it in the place you rent  you may have to avail yourselves of the many internet "cafes" and most restaurant also provide free wi fi.

Bob K

I was thinking there is a device you buy from cell providers. In the US we have a mobile hot spot for when we travel and then we pay for the data. Anything like that available in DR?

Also, I have seen wi-fi boosters at Costco (remember that American luxury?) and was wondering if that might help in the case of the weak or intermittent signals I hear people frequently complaining about....anyone tried those?

And as a side note to Bob and Planner, let me say thanks for your many insightful replies. We have really listened to your many suggestions. For instance, my husband did finally receive his American citizenship (after being here for 43 years) you had recommended. We have been preparing for this move since May, and about to take our third trip in January before the big move in April!

The phone companies do sell a wi/fi stick but you have sign a contract.  Usually 18 months.

Glad we could be of help.  Keep asking away, even when you get your feet wet.  I think you told us but "oldhimers" keeps me from remembering where you were going to settle down in?

Bob K

You can buy a MIFI from VIVA it is prepaid and you just  use what you want for as long as you want.  BUT you have to buy the mifi

We are settling in Santiago...goal is late April. Can't wait to escape my treadmill life here in the US!

Hey K are you guys making a permanent move? Are you retired? Or do you plan to work while in Santiago? I'm curious to know what expats do for work while leaving the states to live in DR. As far as Internet go, you can go to either Claro or Orange and get Mobile WiFi, that is what I use while there for the month. They have different prepaid plans and you pay for what you use, If you run out of data, you can purchase more, might be a bit pricey depending on the amount of data you use, but overall the service is realiable. Tricom is good too if available in the area where you will be staying. Viva is also available

Thank you. That is very helpful. We have a business that has always been owner operated. We have re- organized and increased our staff, enhanced certain safeguards and now hope to oversee from Santiago, with a few trip back per year. We believe we can afford to increase payroll because we can live on less in the DR. It's amazing what is available to assist, such as live cameras that I can log in to any time to see exactly what is going on. We now have a cloud based software management system that allows us to actually do estimates, payroll, watch our numbers daily. This trip we are experimenting with our VoIP phones to see if we can actually have an extension and US number to ring us in Santiago. My kids are completing highschool through virtual school. All considered, we will be using a LOT. of data!

You will need to prepay for all that data.  Remember your speed will not be great.

Yes you will pay dearly for the data

We use a VIOP system (magic jack) and have kept our US number (same number for the last 25 years) that rings here in the DR at our villa.  No problem and very cheap.

BObK