Spousal visa

I am in Ecuador on a 12-lX visa. Next month I will be getting married to an Ecuadorian. I am hoping someone can tell me how I go about getting a spousal visa.

Brucenm wrote:

I am in Ecuador on a 12-lX visa. Next month I will be getting married to an Ecuadorian. I am hoping someone can tell me how I go about getting a spousal visa.

According to the Cancilleria (ministry of foreign affairs), you will need a sponsor for your marriage-and-spousal-visa plans.  It's the 9-VI visa that you want.

Mucho mas, at:

cancilleria.gob.ec(forward-slash)9-vi-sponsor-for-marriage-relationship-or-family-reunification-marriage-ecuadorian-foreigner(forward-slash)(question-mark)lang=en

Or just go to cancilleria.gob.ec, and navigate around.  There's an English-language option there but it has been of questionable functionality in recent days.

cccmedia in Quito

Thank you very much for the info it was very helpful.

I found out that I need another criminal background report. I thought the one I used for the 12-IX visa was enough. Do you have any recommendations on how to get one and have it sent to me here in Ecuador. Does it need to be issued by the state or can it be issued by the local sheriffs office where I live in the United States?

Brucenm wrote:

Thank you very much for the info it was very helpful.

I found out that I need another criminal background report. I thought the one I used for the 12-IX visa was enough. Do you have any recommendations on how to get one and have it sent to me here in Ecuador. Does it need to be issued by the state or can it be issued by the local sheriffs office where I live in the United States?

See if you can get another copy from the source that provided the first background report, Bruce.

If not, I recommend getting the report from the FBI or one of its approved channeling companies (google:  FBI channeler).

They can tell you how to get your fingerprinting done.  There were anecdotal reports that InterPol has provided this service in the past, but I don't have information on an InterPol office in Ecuador.

I was fingerprinted last year in Cincinnati by a channeler before leaving for Ecuador, and retrieved the report online after arriving in Quito.  I then had to mail it to the U.S. State Department in Washington, D.C., for an apostille (needed for my application for an EC residency visa).

The State Department returned my application, having declined to issue the apostille.  I then checked with the channeler in Cincinnati and they said to apply for the apostille again.  I did so, and the second time, the State Department mailed me back the apostille.  I never learned why the apostille was denied the first time, then approved a month later.  Eventually, I was granted the EC residency visa.

Unfortunately, with the back-and-forth mailings taking about two weeks for each letter to arrive at its destination, it cost me about two months waiting for the mails.

So you may want to stay flexible in planning the exact date of your wedding.

cccmedia in Quito