Quick (2 min.) HCMC Housing Survey! Please respond!

Hi everyone!

My gf and I just just moved to HCMC earlier this month and we'd like to get a better understanding of what the housing market is really like for expats right now.  Craigslist and most other apartment rental sites are inundated with ads for overpriced apartments listing conflicting information (From Mr. Binhs, and Dan the Man's, and Kelvins, and Vy the Ladys, and Phangialands).  It's frustrating, to say the least.

That said, I'd like to get a snapshot of what expats' housing situation is like to better understand how to approach this endeavor of securing a place.  If you would be so kind as to answer any or all of the questions below, I will compile the results for everyone and provide it to the group for all to use.  I'm sure that the findings will be immensely helpful not only for us but for anyone looking to settle down in HCMC.

1. What district do you live in?
2. In what neighborhood, on what street, or near what major landmark?
3. What size place? (room, Studio, 1bd, 2bd, 3bd, villa, etc.)
4. What is your rent per month?
5. Did you negotiate to lower your rent?
5. Does that include in utilities? If so, which?
6. Is it a serviced apartment (do they provide housekeeping service)?
7. Was it furnished upon moving in?
8. How long is your lease?
9. Did you use a realtor? If yes, please share the name if you recommend them. If no, how did you find your place?
10. Any other information you'd like to share?

Thank you all so much.  I look forward to sharing my results with the group and meeting some of you at our monthly event in January!

Hi Oolee,

Please feel free to post this advert in the Looking for testimonies in Saigon section, this might help.

Regards,

David.

Hi Oolee, I wrote a couple of articles about this exact topic in my blog, you can check it out (am I allowed to post a link?). Hope what I wrote is useful, would appreciate the pingback if you use any material!

To Oolee:
For number 10, I have heard from my landlord that: it's more difficult to let expats renting room rather than locals.
He asked his previous tenant (a foreigner) to leave because he had to pay tax, and some complicate procedures with local government to have him (the tenant) at home.

To benlws:
How about put the link of your blog on "Website" or "About me" in profile?
Or, just copy some content from that post here?

dear oolee,
i am looking for some answers to your same questions. where can i find them? .. if anyone has replied?
thanks,

manuela