Relocation ideas

T

Welcome Luke and good luck in this new adventure :)

Luke,

The north coast especially Cabarete may be perfect for you. A good mix of local Doominicans, tourists and a large expat community in the area.
We came 5 years ago and have not looked back (or over our shoulder) since.  We are active scuba divers, snorklers, somewhat of a bike rider (now recovering from a badly broken leg suffered when hit by a car while on a bicycle in the US while visiting). Love to hang on the beach etc.
We did get bored after 6 months or so and started working in real estate (work for ReMax here). We built a villa here that we now live in,  as well as own a rental condo in Cabarete that we had lived in while construction was going on at the villa.
Anyway please feel free to PM me with any questions you two may have and WELCOME

Bob K

Thanks Bob and FeeAcer,
I appreciate the help and look forward to the move. I plan to get into scuba diving a good amount; should I ship gear down or buy/rent there? Also, we were working with a lady on a furnished apartment in Cabarete, but we are hesitant to take the place because she refuses to wave the weekly cleaning service. Is that a normal ammenity with rentals? We are both private and clean adults who simply asked that if they wanted to do a weekly walk through we were ok with that, but wanted to be home for the inspection/cleaning service. The landlord explained that they won't wave the cleaning service because of maintenance issues from past tenants and that other current tenants wouldn't appreciate us not having the service, but they being required to do so. Now that has me even more concerned. I know you work for ReMax Bob and might have some good recommendations for classified adds, etc. We are having a hard time finding many promising leads in our price range.
Thanks,
Luke

Luke,
No it is not usuual to insist on weekly cleaning on a leased apt/condo. i too would be concerned about this. What is she charging for this service? If you hired your own cleaning person it should run you about $10 a day or so.  Where is this condo located. What is your budget for a rental and how long are you looking for one?  Let me know.  You can PM me if you want to keep this info off the board.
As far as your scuba gear we always take our own regs,BCs, masks, fins and snorkels.
When are you coming down?

Bob K

Luke:  what is the price range for 2 BR condo/apt where you plan to rent? Just wondering, cleaning service $10/day as Bob mentioned or per week? If per day that is something to think about! Can some throw light on the normal range of monthly rents 1 or 2 BR apts/condo on a year lease or 6 mo lease? Do the long term lease always run on a yearly basis or it could be on 6mo basis too?  Sorry lot of questions..

Thanks

Vin

You can rent a condo/villa from anywhere from $500-2000 a month depending on location and ammenities for a long term rental (4 months or more).  The length of the lease can be anything you work out. Plan on one month security and at least one month paymetn in advance.

Bob K