Family Friendly Accommodation in Kuala Lumpur

Hey all,

I have a possibility of moving to Kuala Lumpur to work in the Bukit Bintang area.  I would probably be there for around 2 years, and will be bringing my husband and two children with me (ages 8 months and 2.5 years).  Just having a quick look before deciding whether or not to take up the opportunity and was looking for the best area to look at accommodation.  I would want something clean, and suitable for my children.  Preferably with access to a swimming pool.  Obviously schools are not really an issue immediately, but perhaps a nursery nearby?  I would prefer not to have to drive to get to work, as I have seen from other posts that this may be tricky in the city.

I have lived in the Maldives before, so being an expat isn't new to me... but I don't really know much about Kuala Lumpur or Malaysia.  My husband is Maldivian. The idea is to save some money, so that we can relocate back to Scotland in the future with a decent deposit for a house here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The last word I would use to refer to Bukit Bintang is clean. The air pollution is quite bad because it is very heavily trafficked. There are quite a few newer condos in BB now at Bukit Ceylon (Verticas, Lanson Place, Laman Ceylon), but predominantly hotels and serviced studio, as it is a tourist area mainly. I live there and love it. But I am not sure it is particularly suitable for children (although our condo has quite a few young ones under 4). It is also possible to reach parts of BB from KLCC on foot in about 10-15 mins and that area is more modern. It depends a bit on where you have to get to in BB where you could select to live. But it is a fun life in the centre of KL, but very urban. There are a lot of kindies but more closer to KLCC. In BB they are traditional Tadika (although in English) held at the Baptist Church. If you are minded to experience Asia, then go for the job. But Asia is Asia and you should be prepared to that.

Pavilion Mall and Star Gallery are in Bukit Bintang and there is a covered walkway from KLCC Suria Mall. So getting around the city is quite easy on foot.

Thanks Gravitas! 

Having lived in the Maldives, I already have a taste of Asia.... although island life is quite a bit different from city life so it will still be a big change.

I was aware of the air pollution being a problem, but was meaning more of clean accommodation (i.e. not run down or difficult to keep clean).   It is good to hear that there are other expat children, and may look at KLCC a bit more then.  If I take the job, I will have temporary accommodation arranged for me.  But I just wanted to get a heads up, as I want to make sure I am doing the right thing by my kids.

Thanks for your help!  :)

The best way to save money is to be strict with your housing budget and decide how much you want to spend and that will potentially save you the most money as all the other costs are relative. In BB the prices will range from RM3500-8000 and in KLCC RM5000-12000. I agree about not getting a car as they are huge money wasters. There is a super park at KLCC with one of the best adventure playgrounds I have seen, plus a very popular paddling or splash pool.  But all the condos will have pools and probably a little playground.

Sounds ideal.  I would want to make sure that we have a nice place, so don't mind spending a wee bit more to make sure we are comfortable, but the main aim of our stay abroad is to save, so don't want to waste money.  Think KLCC sounds like it may be the place to look. Thanks again!

HI Eilzmc... I am Tony Chong. It's already a week now since you enquire about a place to call your habitat in Malaysia for 2 sweet years coming. Anyway, if you still haven't decided on which area and is still looking, I too may be able to assist. I noticed that Mr Grativas has given you some sort of budget BUT you have not confirmed the amount though you are not bothered about it too much.

Well, I do have some places for you too, to choose from but it is slightly away from the KL City. There is an International School nearby and walking distance to loads of restaurants and amenities. Most Expats lived there too. Nice environment. Good for your children. It's 15minutes away from the City. If you drive it will help or take a cab. Anyway, there are a few more choice areas but it would be helpful to agree on a budget and requirements...like number of rooms preferred, sort of thing. Once you are available perhaps, I can take you round to check out those units to your satisfaction.

Well, I wish you a great journey down to Malaysia, soon, and hope you will find your stay here as beautiful as my country.

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : No personal contact infos on the forum please.

Hi ,
when are you thinking of moving here to KL as I am looking to share an apartment before the 15th of January .
I am an education consultant
Nicole

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : Please do not share personal contact infos on the forum.

Hi Nicole,

Just wondering on your needs. Yah, it's good to share an apartment if you are up to it and don't mind new companionship. Anyway, if its to safe a fraction more, perhaps if you let me know of your budget I may be able to get you place on your own. I am just thinking outside the box...it's really up to you.
Well, if you game for it you can always contact me, Tony... [email protected].

And by the way, your email address may need a proper @ instead of (at)..... :). Take care and have a great coming weekend. Cheers!

Hi,

Are you still looking to rent a house in KL?

Regards
SHwestin

You can stay around Ampang Road where most embassy staff are residing, you may find some new condos that have just been built, gated with tight security, with hotel style facilities. One of such condos is the Elements Ampang. You may search the Internet for detail info. You may contact me if you are interested to stay there as I have some contacts there.