Internet connectivity in Port Moresby?

Hi guys,

Is there an unlimited internet connectivity in Port Moresby? If so, speed and cost pls.

Hi sobhan06,

I created a new topic from your post on the Papua New Guinea forum for better interaction and visibility, please feel free to contact me if you need more information and help.

Please feel free to go through the Telecommunications in Papua New Guinea forum, you might find useful hints.

Regards,

David.

sobhan06 wrote:

Hi guys,

Is there an unlimited internet connectivity in Port Moresby? If so, speed and cost pls.

An online search will get you the information you need.

There is VSAT but it can be very expensive, K2000  a month. Digicel have the cheapest mobile internet plans currently, check there webpage here:   digicelpng.com/en/plans/digiflex/prepaid-data-rates

The other main mobile competitor is Bemobile, you can see there plans here:  bmobile.com.pg/Home/data

There are. There are ISPs here offering them including Datec, Digicel and Global Technologies which happens to be my employer now. The cost will depend on how much speed you want. There are plans ranging from 256/128kbps, 4/2mbps and higher.
VSAT can also be an alternative, but has a significant latency issue,quite expensive and usually ideal in places outside Port Moresby where there's no wireless network or ADSL coverage.
Hope this helps.

Aatuti,

That's pretty costlier !! 2000 kina !! i prefer unlimited internet with a speed of 1mbps atleast

We were paying K500 for 5GB per month with Telikom Png. Now with Digicel on 4G getting 7.6GB per month for K449 per month. I have looked at all sorts of options, all expensive by Western standards and not that reliable. If they tell you that you will get good speeds don't rely on getting it all the time. Currently the weather is bad which for some reason seems to affect the connections so at home, at work the internet has been soooo slow today!!!!! The Tiare Gateway seems to be a limiting factor as well but then I am no internet geek.

What in the world is PNG living !!
All the asian countries are working at high speed Mbps connection but still in PNG..
Have they laid fiber optics cable for internet ?

Have you ever seen PNG? It has some of the most mountainous terrain around, that combined with the land owner issues, lack of any real infrastructure, constant problems means that fibre is impossible in most places.

You also need to understand that even if the country was covered in fibre or other high speed links, there is only 3 pipes out of this country.

1. Ela Beach Fibre - Port Moresby. This is a second hand fibre from Guam that has all sorts of issues, is very expensive and has low capacity
2. Paga Hill Earth Station - Uses VSAT technology, very expensive, has issues from time to time
3. Madang Fibre - very fast, very cheap, unfortunately getting from Pom to Madang is only done via RF links across the mountains and they drop out regularly so is really only good for business local to Madang.

Having fast internet is more than just having a fibre NTU in your house, it requires a whole backbone of infrastructure to connect the fibre together, connect to other countries and above all be reliable. This is another issue in PNG, the maintenance is poor and the budget means things get overlooked.

PNG is a third world country, Asian countries have many things PNG doesn't, but PNG has some very interesting issues that need to be rectified for it to advance into the digital age. We need to be thankful for what we do have here, such as fairly good mobile coverage (even if its unusable from time to time) and VSAT, allowing business to operate.

Hello

Hi im Michelle and soon will be in Png to Visit my partner and one of my plans is to install internet connection in our place. Can anyone suggest me reliable internet service provider? The area will be somewhere in badili.

Thank you!!!

Michelle

Hi Michelle,
Have a look at this link but not sure if you will get this service in Badili.

http://www.telikompng.com.pg/index.php/ … -broadband

I am about to go onto a 10GB plan for K479 per month which so far is the best deal I can find. I have been on Digicel 4G and while it was great when I first went on it now it is extremely slow a lot of the time. This plan is 7.6GB for K449 per month. All the internet providers will tell you that their systems are really great and speeds are great but in reality this usually turns out to be far from the truth. Just be aware that if you are used to unlimited cheap internet like I had before there is no such thing here. Even in the Philippines when I am there it is much more reliable and relatively cheap.

As someone said earlier in this blog, the Tiare Gateway is a huge limiting factor but Telikom are progressively rolling out a fibre link around the country from POM to Madang to Lae etc rather than relying on radio.

I agree with you my partner is using data from his phone only messenger works not video call at all.  I often complain for internet service in my country and i guess png has worst lol. Thanks for this information ill check it out!