Wannabe Expat

Hi there!

Just wanted to say hello to you all and let you know a little about me......

I am a British geologist who married a wonderful kenyan lady and we now have a 2 1/2 year old.  My wife would love to come home and i would love to come more than her :)

My issue is that i am not getting any replies to emails sent looking for a job.  There are a fair few civil engineering companies that i have approached (for actual job applications and i am a little ashamed to say - by unsolicited mail) as well as applying to the UN.  However, to date i have yet to receive a single reply.

My current remuneration is circa £30,000 - but i fully understand that i could not expect to get this level of pay.......but if you would not mind me jumping in with a question?  How much would i need to earn to have a similar lifestyle in Nairobi?  Would it need to be of the order of 100,000 ksh or more to live reasonably in say the westlands area?

Also have any of you kind folks got an idea of how to increase my chances of getting a job?  For the first time in my career i have not received a reply and it is quite strange to me!

Well anyway it is nice to meet you folks and i hope that in the not too distant future i can get a job and meet you in the flesh!

you should try hiring a HR firm to help you get a job.
if you need any assistance let me know.
for living expenses your looking at 100k plus if your in westlands as rents their are very high

Hi, Your situation sounds very much like my own.  My wife is Kenyan and we relocated to Kenya in 2004 for various reasons.  To date though, I have been unable to secure employment in Kenya. One of the reasons seems to be that work permits are no longer given freely to expats who are likely to compete with similarly qualified Kenyans.

To date, my solution has been to work in the UK for 5 - 6 months and spending the rest of the year in Kenya.  We have given up trying to get employment for me, despite endless promises of assistance.  We have started our own business and I honestly think that this is the way forward.

As for living costs, we own our own home in Thika (no mortgage) and we have three employees.  Our monthly costs are Ksh 90 000 to Ksh 106 000, but this includes things like satellite TV.  However, rents in Nairobi can easily take this amount of money (depending on area).  Kenya isnt particularly cheap, especially if you like restaurants, weekends away etc.

We lived in Westlands about 4 years ago and our rent for a 4 bed apartment was Ksh 56000.  Sure it would be quite a bit more now.  Suggest you check online:  Villacare, Neptune Shelters, Knight Frank and Hass consult all have a variety of property for rent.

Good luck

Rupert

Thank you for the replies,

@Longonot62 we are coming to Kenya for Christmas would be great to meet you and hopefully we can maybe get afew ideas on what business we could look into for my wife.

@Kenyandesi was wondering how you would help me in securing a job.

send me your cv

Am thinking you should approach your stituation abit differently..as you send out your cv dont be applyn for the same post you are currently in you could try different posts that require the same skill example lecturing..and something else hide anything in your cv that would  mean you deserve more pay untill you get the job..gudluck

Good Luck mates in finding a Job in Kenya, i did set up a software company to be running whilst i'm in UK so i can agree with Longonot62's post to setting up a biz but that option requires a lot of market research before commence. Good luck.

Try this site:
http://www.unjobs.org

It lists job openings that are available in NGOs affiliated with the UN.