Live and work in VANCOUVER

Hello everybody!

My name is Melinda and I am currently studying Tourism Management in Switzerland. In one year I'll graduate from school and want to move to Vancouver. It always had been my dream since I was there for 2 month in 2005.

So could anybody help me with a few questions?

First of all, I would like to know how difficult it is to get a working visa. I don't want to apply for immigration as this may take years.  As far as I'm concerned I will need a confirmation from canada Human Resource that the employer couldn't find a canadian person for that job. Is this difficult to get this confirmation?

Second, it would be interesting to know if I have good chances to get a job. So to find an employer whose willing to employ me. The thing is that I have only 1 year experience in administrative offices and 1 year experience as flight attendant and of course in one year I will hold a bachelors degree in science.

I would appriciate to get some helpfull information.
Thank you
Melinda

Hi Melinda! Welcome on Expat-blog! :)

Well, you might place an ad in the Vancouver classifieds > job section for finding a job.

I wish you good luck
Christine

Hi Melinda,

My advice would be to make contacts within the tourism industry in Vancouver (LinkedIn and Twitter are great tools for this). They will be able to tell you what the job market is really like in your field.

Compared to Europeans, I find that Canadian employers tend to place more value on your personality and whether you'll be a good fit with the rest of the team, and less on your work experience and degrees.

So I wouldn't worry about having "only" 1 year experience in these two fields - show you're the right person for the job, and that shouldn't be a problem.

All the best!
Emmanuelle

Wow, this all sounds very positive! thanks a lot for your helpfull information...
I just got another question: I am looking for a chatroom to meet people from vancouver. Do you know one that is especially for the city of vancouver?
thanks again for your help!!

Hi Melinda, actually,.... getting a decent paying job here is very difficult. Many employers look for Canadian experience and with the economy in the current state, it is a lot tighter at the border and the applications for work permits. Dig deep and get the answers you are looking for in chats at the canadian immigration site. I am american and am building Hotel georgia and the residences there. (one of 20 foremen there). I hold a valid work permit and have been here 2 years. Good Luck. -Dana

Thank you for your honest answer... but still, its not impossible?=)
My idea was to first of all get a job, even if its not good payed, and do some volunteering to get canadian experience! And then over time find a better job... do you think this could work?

And by the way... does any body know where apartments are "cheap" to rent?

did you find any opportunity yet?

dear im also moving back to vancouver i been loking for apartments there would youy like to share
thank you

dear Melinda just cant understand why would someone who lives in Switzerland want to emigrate to Canada except the beauty of the Vancouver city? is it the thrill of the young adult to live in Vancouver in order to look more superior in the eyes of their friends? besides everything i myself wanted to go there until i realized that it was overrated !So my kind advice would be to think better about it and decide carefully, there is an old Greek saying : everything looks nicer where we are not

P.s. most European countries have nothing to be jealous of the north American, its better to solve your problems that to run away from them especially relation problems cause relation is everything, and with the appropriate people you feel nice everywhere!

hey Melinda!
sorry I just red your message, I know its late but wanted just to support you cause I've been there and really love this country and specially Vancouver!
can you just tell me what did you do? did you move there or no, and was it difficult ??