Maracay, Venezuela

Hi,

I am visiting Maracay for a week over xmas.
Has anyone been before. Looking advice on things like crime, and safety, cost of living, the weather, the political protests and the dengue and chunky guys fevers.

Many thanks
Peter

Hello Peter and welcome on board Expat.com :)

Kindly note that your thread has been moved to the Venezuela forum so as to help you get better interactions.

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com Team

Shanks1982 wrote:

Hi,

I am visiting Maracay for a week over xmas.
Has anyone been before. Looking advice on things like crime, and safety, cost of living, the weather, the political protests and the dengue and chunky guys fevers.

Many thanks
Peter

Hi Peter!, I lived in Maracay for many years and I don´t consider it to be an extremely dangerous place but I would avoid going out late at night alone and don´t display expensive stuff or US dollars or euros at public. Well I think those are one of the most important things to know to be as safety as possible in any venezuelan city. By the way, are you planning to live here?, I´m just curious  :unsure

Regarding dengue and chikungunya fever, well I´m 35 and had dengue once, chikungunya not so far, I hope I remain like this lol...anyway if you had high fever while you are here just avoid any medication different than Atamel (acetaminofén) as this is the only medication allowed to be taken for both dengue and chikungunya, drink plenty of liquids and of course go to a hospital  :)

Thanks Geamant, I wont be carrying anything valuable and wont be displaying foreign currency. Im coming for a holiday to visit Choroni and Cayo Somberero.

Is it safe to go to bars / nightclubs in Maracay?

Thanks again

Thanks Geamant, I wont be carrying anything valuable and wont be displaying foreign currency. Im coming for a holiday to visit Choroni and Cayo Somberero.

Is it safe to go to bars / nightclubs in Maracay?

Thanks again

Ok, Choroní and Cayo Sombrero are really nice places. Yes it is, but use taxi cabs instead of walking alone during the night :)

Thank you very much. Those are both on my list along with colonia tovar and parapente :-)

You´re welcome!...Hope you enjoy your vacation here :)....Take care!