Moving to riyadh from sydney

Hi,

I have recently been awarded a contract to relocate to Riyadh. Yippeeee! HoraaaaaY!!!!

I have read a thousand different blogs and have come full circle to no conclusion so I require your help.

I should be relocating in a couple of months pending visas. My wife and 5 month old son soon after. Herein lies the problem. Whilst my work and study commitments will see me distracted, my wife and son will find it difficult perhaps boring at first. She is from Syria so she has a considerable advantage being able to read and write arabic, but also understanding the islamic customs, nonetheless she knows no one.

So the dilema is whether or not to rent in compound versus an apartment and for how much, if in fact any are available.

Other things to consider are what family activities and social ones that can keep her and him occupied and happy. Keep in mind the frustration of a newborn turning todler being locked up in an apartment.

Your help would be appreciated!

Hi BHills,

Welcome to Riyadh. For children, there are large fun/toyland/amusment places in most large malls for their entertainment. There is also these funfair parks outside of the malls.

I think to begin with try get a compound with all the activities in it for mom and baby. Then move to an appartment. At least mom will have friends within the compound.

But start now and put your name down at these compounds.

Good Luck.

Welcome to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, bhills2153.

If you're Muslim, you don't have to rent in a compound, if not, it would be more comfortable to live in a compound, otherwise, you and your family wouldn't be comfortable.

And yes, I've heard it takes a while before you get in a compound, so, as my friend said, start doing the writing stuff, and GOOD LUCK!

Ramon,

Thanks for the feedback. It is much appreciated.

Any idea on costs for compounds?

Hi there
I m from Malaysia and stay in villa with the rent per year is 36k. I m staying with husband and 3 years son, most of my time is at home and after my husband came back from work only, we will go out for shopping etc. I've been here for about 4 years, also on and off to Malaysia due to my kids still school there in Malaysia. I had stay in compound also but still have no good friend. Have a nice day and regards to your family.
Tahnks

Apartments can cost between SR 20-40K per annum
Villas are certainly over 35K
Compounds will easily cost 75K and up

It'll be much easier on her (and in turn, you) if you rent in a compound. The culture shock will be less, and she'll have the opportunity to meet some like minded (and not so like minded) people in the complex.

Living in an apartment is a 50/50, you may have neighbors which you can relate to, and you may have some which you can. From what I've seen from friends who live in apts. They rarely talk to their neighbors.

My wife enjoys the compound life of swimming, having a bus to take you shopping, and her and the other wives do brunches almost daily at random houses within the complex. So that keeps her busy. And keeps my head at ease :)

A house is great for the fact that it's a house and the money you save can be put for other things. Like adding what you want to the house, possibly getting a driver, and her shopping a lot more. But the social aspect will decline dramatically.

Beezer,

Thanks for that.

How long have you been in riyadh?

I know it is a culture shock, probably frustrating, but I suppose expats all ways find their own little communal activities that keep them sane. Am I right?

hehe! Believe me, it's not that shock! People here are very friendly, unlike there! It's very easy to get along with Saudi people. Just don't let them fill your heard with these thoughts. Unless you have car, you'd find them not friendly for sure! lol! Saudi guys are crazy in driving cars.

GOOD LUCK!

Ramon, sorry, but I have not found a friendly Saudi except you. I like your enthusiasim and positivness about your Kingdom. But the older folk are unfriendly.

lol! Perhaps, you're right, if we're talking about the old people here. I'm talking generaly here, and believe me, this is what our foreigners teachers have told so, how Saudi guys are so friendly and have the sense of humor.

Ramon,

Ramon,

I am sure you get friendly people and unfreindly people as you do anyware. I think it is about respecting people and thier cultures, if you can do that, then one would hope they would reciprocate such respect.

Bhills

I totally agree, Bhills!

Ramon,

My experience with Saudi's has been very positive--I have wonderful colleagues (both male and female) who are friendly and have great senses of humor.  I like most quite a lot.

That said, Saudi's are so tied up with their families and their own lives, they seem not to have time outside of work for new friendships.  Although I've been here a year and have some good, friendly work relationships, I've not developed any outside friendships with Saudi's. 

Now, I think it may be easier for expat men to be friends with Saudi men--but Saudi women seem to have many obligations in their free time.  True, they may spend a lot of time shopping lol but I think this is usually done with family members.

I am curious, what happens when we get to the airport and my wife does not have a abiya (black cover). Is it something we can buy at the aiport, hopefully we don't get in trouble walking around with out one?????

On that topic what happens on Saudi Air re seggregation?

Hi bhills2153,
I wouldn't be too worried about her not having an abaya: when I arrived with my 13-year old girl in Saudi, we didn't either!
If she is dressed "modestly" (long sleeves, no décolleté and pants or long skirt, she'll be safe!
Cheers
Arlette

thanks feeacer.

Bhills - Welcome to the Forum and to Riyadh!  You and your family will have a great time here.  If your still looking for housing, PM me and I can provide you with a bit of info and some pics of places that we looked at. 

Don't fret about the abaya for your wife either, as FreeAcer mentioned, just have her wear long pants/skirt & a long sleeve blouse and she lll be fine.  And there is no segregation on the plane or anywhere in the country unless you go to a function or to a Saudi home -  then you  may be separated from your spouse but even then its ok.  Relax! 

This is assignment is going to be wonderful if you come with an open mind and patience.  Since your wife is Syrian and understands the culture, you shouldn't have any difficulties at all.     Please keep us posted on your arrival and dont hesitate to ask if you need some assistance.  We look forward to meeting you.

Regards,

iddahashim - Welcome to the Forum!  Im sorry to hear you haven't met too many people.  PM me and maybe we can go have lunch sometime. 

The forum is a great place to chat and have some fun.  There are many regulars and if you've read through some of the threads, you'll note that we really enjoy each other and have a good time!

Regards,

bhills,

I came through the airport yesterday (just back from a trip home) and there were a half dozen western women on my BA flight who weren't wearing abayas.  There were no problems whatsoever.

Don't fret about the abaya, and keep an open mind about the differences in culture.

And always remember not to take everyones driving personally. It's just how some people drive (purely recklessly)

And remember, some papers might need a little "push" if your company/sponsor doesn't help out. I'm thinking that you're coming on a visit visa and not an Iqama since your wife is coming with you at the same time?

Hi I own a villa (furnished) and would like to rent it if you are interested.

Hi guys,

Well I am already starting to feel at home even though I have not arrived, appreciated! I did notice that you all have regulary blogs so I look forward to joining the group.

Beezer, I am actaully going through the process of putting together a work visa, my wife and son will follow later on a spouse visa (mahram). It will be difficult to "push" things along in Sydney, as you can appreciate, however I understand how it works there.

MOV580, I would take you up on the offer, however I am unsure about timing of my visa. The company has said that processing could take up to 3 months or more, so I dont want to put you out. If/when things pick up in pace, I may take you up on the offer.

You are welcome any time :)

If the company has the visa ready (your country, your occupation) then as soon as you finish with the requirements, you should be good to go within 3 days. If not, then yeah, it's an endless wait really.

As far as pushing papers. I meant about here :) And it looks like you might need to do that when you get here, if you want your family to follow you asap. But I do suggest you take your time when you get here, you don't want your family to come here, and then have you decide you don't wanna stick around. :p

It happens, trust me :)