Buying a car in Vientiane

Hi All

Do most people buy 4x4 cars in Vientiane?  My family and I are moving over in July 2015 and I want to be able to drive around the country.  Would it make most sense to get a smaller family car for everyday use and rent 4x4 for the trips out of town?  I am trying to source good websites for car sales by car dealers preferably.  Any advice would be great!

Thanks!

vacreative wrote:

Hi All

Do most people buy 4x4 cars in Vientiane?  My family and I are moving over in July 2015 and I want to be able to drive around the country.  Would it make most sense to get a smaller family car for everyday use and rent 4x4 for the trips out of town?  I am trying to source good websites for car sales by car dealers preferably.  Any advice would be great!

Thanks!

A good car will get you around okay. No need for a 4x4 unless you intend to go into out of the way places.

When you get to VT check out the better grocery stores that expats use as they often have ads placed in their windows offering anything from furniture to cars to house rentals.

Or check out the forum category list right hand side of this page and click on cars and transport section to see if there are any for sale.

Great, thanks Stumpy.  Do you know the names of the better supermarkets?  I wonder if they have anything like Big C like in BKK?

might be cheaper to get a driver

I ain't that eager to drive in laos, even with an international driver's license; afraid of too many chickens, ducks, cows, dogs, cats, and animals on the roads.

I drive all over Laos with no problems especially between Vientiane and Pakse.

vacreative wrote:

Great, thanks Stumpy.  Do you know the names of the better supermarkets?  I wonder if they have anything like Big C like in BKK?

There are 7-11 shops all over Vientiane and there are many grocery type shops that expats use but are not part of a chain like Big C

OK thanks!  Do they have Toyota/Nissan car dealers in Vientiane?

Yes there are many new car dealerships in Vientiane.

You do not need a 4WD unless you intend to do offroad driving. That said, a $WD is certainly useful in the wet season. I would not have been able to ford a road that turned into a creek in Vang Vieng this wet season without a 4WD.

Charlie there is no such thing as an international driving licence. It is an International Drivers Permit and is little more than a translation of your own country's driving licence.

Supermarkets? There is Tang Freres which is ok and the Simuang Mini Mart which stocks a lot of western goods. For fresh food go to your local market.

Cars? The following are available around town - dealerships, Ford, Toyota, Hyundai, Kia, Land Rover, Nissan, Izuzu, BMW, Chevrolet, Mercedes, many Chinese and a couple of Indian brands. I am sure I have forgotten some. You can also pick up Porsches and the odd Rolls Royce if you so desire.

Stumpy, what is the road like to Pakse? I am driving there at Christmas and have heard mixed reports.

Hi VB

It's okay as far as I know. Wife drives it at least twice a year and I drive down early this year.
No problems.

Thanks.

@vacreative

Just be aware that the taxes on a new vehicle are very high.

Thanks Stumpy.  Will remember that!

Thanks for the info - I will look at dealers once I get to Vientiane.  I will also make note of the supermarkets you mentioned too - this all helps!

Feel free to ask for advice anytime. 
There are Lao members who will assist with information where possible. 

Thank Vientiane boy for the supermarket information.

Cheers Stumpy - and thanks Vientiane Boy for the supermarket info!

Personally I would not get anything less than a pick up or 4x4, if you plan on driving on anything other than the main roads in Vientiane, even heading north on the main road the pot holes (if you can call them that) are big enough to bury a mulitple body. Yes there are many who don't, but there's a reason why a fairly large majority of cars are either pick ups or 4x4's.  If you can afford it do it, I'm sure when you get here you will see what I mean ;)