Salary VS Cost of Living

I have been looking at job listing. For a Software Architect in South Africa the salary was 550000 Rand - 600000 Rand. In the US thats about $75,000-$80,000. What I want to know is can I live in a nice safe neighborhood, afford a good private school and live comfortable off that type of salary in Cape Town, Durban, Pertoria or Joburg?

I want to thank you in advance for your responses.

Hi SeekingSA !

I would suggest Cape Town, it`s a cosmopolitan town set with the magnificent Table Mountain- the place to be. I`ve studied at the University of Cape Town for 4 years and graduated with a Bachelor (Fine Art).Cape Town has lots to offer, it is a posh and vibrant city with lots going on. Personally, i have always felt secured there and met lots of friends. The hospitality of Capetonians is simply unbelievable.

Also, i did travel to Durban but i still prefer Cape Town. Johannesburg is inland, it`s where all the mines are and not so safe at night. My cousin is now settled in South Africa and currently lives in Pretoria, it`s and old city with lovely architecture- a bit laid back. If you are looking for modern life styles and to be in the center of a fast developing city, then Cape Town is the place to be. It has lots to offer.Besides, from Cape Town you can easily make a road trip to Durban,Pretoria, Johannesburg, to Port Elizabeth, Mossel bay, to Namibia etc...

Your salary is more than enough to lead a good life. Actually, u`ll live like a king (Average monthly salary say for Ex: High school teacher is Zar 13,000 approximately per month).

Basic Living expenses for 1 person is approximately Zar Rs 1,500 per month.

I will surely travel back there to meet my Capetonian friends.

Good luck!

Hope it helps!

Sheetul.

the main reason i'm returning to south africa, even though the government is very poorly run, is that on a salary of only USD 20,000, i had a house not far from the beach and my children in private school. [i refused to buy a car, just out of principle.]

cars are more expensive than the united states, as is petrol. insurance, however, is not. almost everything else is much, much cheaper, tho joburg is considerably more expensive than cape town in every way but housing. [in cape town you pay for the cleaner air and the more sensible highway system.]