Bringing pet dog overseas from USA to Vietnam and living in apartment

Hi,
my name is Naomi.  I am considering moving to Vietnam in November 2015.  I want to teach ESL and I need to bring my dog because there is absolutely no one that can watch him.  If I paid someone, I'd be looking at $1000 a month and at that rate I'd rather just have my best puppy friend tag along my journey.  #1.  Are there any hostels that allow dogs?  My dog is only 9 lbs, well behaved, etc.  #2.  To rent an apartment are dogs allowed?  #3.  Is there a large pet deposit?  #4.  Is it difficult to rent an apartment over there?  In the USA I have terrible credit due to student loans.  How do they check your credit or reliability to rent to you?

Thank you for your help!

And I've spoken with my vet re: paperwork, blood work, shots requirements etc for bringing him over.

#5.  Are there good vets in Vietnam, and are there places where you can board your pet dog if you wanted to leave for a few days on a trip?

#6.  Any idea how much quarantine is daily?q

Unlike the USA, Landlords aren't a problem. Usually. If the lease doesn't ban animals assume they are OK - don't raise the matter with them when apartment hunting. Since tiled floors are common over here, 'accidents' are easy to recover from.

There are a couple of Foreign trained vets in Da Nang.

You need a Vet's Letter conforming Bowser is healthy. There is NO quarantine here.

There are pet carers in larger cities.

Renting an apartment requires, usually, a TWO MONTH SECURITY DEPOSIT PLUS FIRST MONTHS RENT. Always say you have to deposit to a bank account because you bring money in. (Knowing where your landlord banks makes it easier if he walks with your deposit)

Note all utilities are extra (usually).

Hi Wnaomi,
Nice to meet you. Please see my answers below:

#1.  Are there any hostels that allow dogs?   -  Many Hotels are allow.
#2.  To rent an apartment are dogs allowed?  -  Almost they will be allow
#3.  Is there a large pet deposit? No
#4.  Is it difficult to rent an apartment over there?  It's easy to rent an apartment here. From $200~$400/month
#5.  Are there good vets in Vietnam, and are there places where you can board your pet dog if you wanted to leave for a few days on a trip? - Absolutely yes, There are many hospitals for your pet and you can board it if you want to leave for a few days on a trip - it takes you about $8/day

Hi Wnaomi: I live in Can Tho, Vietnam. I cannot tell you much at this time about bringing in a dog other than the Medical requirements you can find on the Government web sights. I am however going to be investigating this problem soon as I am thinking of bringing a dog into country. As far as apartments and dogs go as far as I know they are allowed and I think there is no fee as all floors are tile. Apartment prices very with City and Location, you need to know what City you will be going to and ask advice from people there. As for the Dog Info I will let you know what I find out as I am able to find answers, It's a whole different world especially if you do not speak the language. I do think it is not that hard or expensive. I would definitely plan on bringing your pet if it can be left alone while you work, but keep in mind there can be problems finding the kind of Dog Foods, vet services, kennel services you are used to are almost non-existent, in addition you should never let you pet run free out of your sight here even in a fenced yard. Dangers abound.

wnaomi2 wrote:

Hi,
my name is Naomi.  I am considering moving to Vietnam in November 2015.  I want to teach ESL and I need to bring my dog because there is absolutely no one that can watch him.  If I paid someone, I'd be looking at $1000 a month and at that rate I'd rather just have my best puppy friend tag along my journey.  #1.  Are there any hostels that allow dogs?  My dog is only 9 lbs, well behaved, etc.  #2.  To rent an apartment are dogs allowed?  #3.  Is there a large pet deposit?  #4.  Is it difficult to rent an apartment over there?  In the USA I have terrible credit due to student loans.  How do they check your credit or reliability to rent to you?

Thank you for your help!

And I've spoken with my vet re: paperwork, blood work, shots requirements etc for bringing him over.

#5.  Are there good vets in Vietnam, and are there places where you can board your pet dog if you wanted to leave for a few days on a trip?

#6.  Any idea how much quarantine is daily?q

It might also be a one way ticket for your dog, many countries refuse entry to a dog once it has lived in Sth East Asia, ( Australia is one ), and if it was possible, it would be  long and expensive process.

http://i.imgur.com/cMOVr5f.jpg

Don't bring your dog here.  You'll have enough on your plate as it is without having your dog end up on a dinner plate.

You have plenty of time to find someone to either watch or adopt the dog.

Have you considered a "no kill" shelter?

Hey Naomi!  Would love to know what you ended up doing with your pet, and how it all worked out.  I'm looking at a lot of the same questions you had :)

Here's a link to info for bringing your pet to VN.

https://www.vietnamonline.com/planning/ … etnam.html

EmiCVale wrote:

Hey Naomi!  Would love to know what you ended up doing with your pet, and how it all worked out.  I'm looking at a lot of the same questions you had :)

Look at the date next to the posters name. Naomi posted this in 2014, I doubt she is still around, but you never know.