Best place to move in Vietnam for expat for work?

Hi there,

I am in the process of researching and planning a move to Vietnam, I wanted to know where would be the best location with the best possible employment outcome for an expat?

I know its a tough question to answer because of the industry you want to work in but as a general observation and your opinion where do you think?

Thanks

There are enough so-called English Teachers - more accurately English INSTRUCTORS - to keep a sizable number under or unemployed. It seems to be the new backpacker dishwasher job - something to scratch together a little money.

What VietNam needs are trades instructors. Primarily electrical and plumbing. Both these areas are severely restrained. We don't need welders, metal fabricators, etc. The Vietnamese are extremely accomplished in these fields. (Ever seen a 30 cm diameter ships drive shaft machined on the side of a street?)

The other need is for instructors to get out in to the less popular areas - away from the bright-light destinations - from Cau Mau in the south through Ha Giang in the north.

We also need instructors in the starter computer field, along with physics, biology and chemistry. Unfortunately, these are the grades taught in government schools and they, presently, concentrate on the basic education essentials.

Other areas are in the areas of automation application - upgrading the basic technologies they employ in industry. Essentially much of VietNam's needs are similar to those required in the more remote areas of Australia or New Zealand or the Appalachia area of the US.

Keep current with the rapidly changing visa/work permit legislation in VietNam - this will affect you.

Thanks for that info Jaitch, I have worked in IT field just never had any qualifications never needed them most times I have learnt on the job or from others and always got by and ended up being the go to guy.

I'm planning on coming over September / October so i figured if I knew of shortages in specific locations and industries I could spend the next 9 to 10 months building some skills in those areas that interest me to give me a better chance of securing employment and being able to build a life in Vietnam.

Present regulations recognise years work in a given field is equivalent to education.

Problem is, everyone and their young brothers are very sharp in the IT business here - which presents a problem - vacancies.

LAN/Network expertise is dropping off as everyone thinks WiFi is as good as a LAN (until they get hacked). Wait a while and others will wake up and contribute.

Yeah I know its still early in Vietnam hehe.

I understand IT can be a flooded market its like that here in Australia all the companies are off shoring there work it makes it hard to get a job in IT these days.

I'll see what areas other people think are in demand and it I might find something that may start a new career for me :)

Hello,

You can move to Vung tau city in Vietnam, vungtau is a beautiful place and have warm weather.  Many foreiner have lived and worked here. You can search in Google about Vung tau. Vungtau far away Ho Chi Minh city about 120km, easy to go and back. I am also an engineer and I am working here. If you need more information please don't hestate contact me via email [email protected].