Web developer / Project manager: wages ?

Good evening everyone,

As a lot of people here, i think about moving to dominican republic. I have been searching infos about IT positions but i haven't found something clear.

As the subject indicate it, i'm a web developper / Project manger. I don't have a clear idea about wages that i get in dominican republic. Some people told me the wages can be very low as they can be very high. I have to find out what the factors which could optimize my chances to get decent salary.

I'm a french guy who speaks spanish fluently. I hope my english isn't so bad. As just said, french is my native language.

If some people from this branch (IT) can help me, i will apreciate it.

Warmest regards,

Jazz styles

I'm in IT as well, Moved here from Miami about two years ago, There are plenty of multi national IT companies here, Microsoft, Cisco, SAP, Dell, VMWare - you name it. In October I accepted a position with one of the oldest ITC companies in the world - great starting salary per year.  How did that happen for me?  as soon as i got here I started networking,   and i believe that is the  key - you have to NETWORK!

you have to be proactive at it here if you're serious- they're not going to 'look' for you..that was my experience.....oh and by the way- I speak maybe 5 words of Spanish which mostly consists of " tu tiene un Presidente poquena light?"  and even with my limited Spanish I was still offered the position..........

Cloop you are correct. Boots on the ground and networking will usually get you what you are seeking.

Bob K

Thank your very much for your answers.

Networking always will be an efficient "arm" in this kind of situation.
Do you have some job's websites where i can start my search.

Cloop, how do you live in Domincan republic without speaking the main language ?

About the wages, how much can i expect to earn working for an north american company ?

Warmest regards,

Jazzstyle

Well I'm not fluent, but I can pretty much put together  a few phrases when I need something, or want to strike up a conversation with someone,in fact quite a few native born folks here tell me my Spanish is quite passable....I do not know of any job boards/sites that would benefit you here, what I did was utilized my existing IT contacts in the States to open the doors for me here so to speak... I used to work for an SAP partner, I asked the SAP direct Channel Manager ( with whom I already had an existing  working relationship with) if he could help me identify/contact his counter part here in the DR, he did and the rest was as you say history..... oh also.... in the IT field here my experience has been  once you get beyond the receptionist pretty much most of the Sr. IT guys  (mgrs/CIO etc etc) speak some form of  English..... hope that helps...