Driving License-International Driving Permit

Hi all,

Well, I have a valid IDP,category A & B (Car and Bike) Is there any further stamping or document works needs to be done in this booklet(IDP) to drive in Lebanon? if any, what are the procedures and where i can get those done?)Also what are the procedures to convert the IDP to a Lebanese Driving License?  I'm on a visit visa , will be obtaining a work permit after 6 months. Many thanks in advance....  :)

Hi Mksuman!

Welcome to the Expat-blog!:)

Thanks Sheetul :) Cheers..

Hey... am interested too... did you find out how to do it?

cheers

Well, as per couple of websites and the information gathered from my associates ( which i confirmed true ) any foreigner is allowed to drive a vehicle in Lebanon , provided that he is in possession of either of the following licenses :

- An international driving license for the categories of vehicles specified in the said license . (IDP)
      - A driving license of the specimen figuring on the 9th annex of the International Convention on the Roads Transportations concluded in Geneva on 19-SEPT-1949.
      - A driving licence issued by his country of origin (checked and paraphed ) by the "Vehicle Service" Registration Office in Lebanon and that only when the foreigner is on vacation or on a touristic visit in Lebanon .
      - A driving licence issued by his country of origin when this country and Lebanon are bound with a special treaty such as : Jordan - Syria - Saudi Arabia - Iraq - The United Arab Emirates etc...

However , it is noted that the International driving licence , as well as the driving licence figuring on the 9th annex of the international convention on Roads Transportations could be exchanged into a Lebanese driving licence .

In general you can drive for the categories of vehicles mentioned in the IDP ( in my case) and once your IDP is expired you can produce your Original License (issued in your home country) and get a Lebanese license from "Vehicle Service Registration office " in Lebanon( No idea about the location of this office, will find out soon)This license will be valid for six months and can be renewed after the expiry.

Hope this will help....

One of the "Vehicle Service" Registration office is near "Dekouane" in Beirut, where you can produce the original driving license (from your home country) and get a Lebanese Driving License.

Thanks!