Quito Ecuador

I really like the freedom and reality Ecuador offers.   Both my divorced parents have retired here (in Tumbaco and Cumbaya) and really enjoy it.  My dad has set up an Inn for people to stay at while investigating Ecuador. 
He bought a big house in the country 30 minutes outside of Quito and his hobby is gardening and visiting with Americans over coffee.  The best advice I can give you is come down for 2 - 4 weeks at least and really get a feel for the country.  When I came down in 1994 as a chiropractor nobody wanted to help me out.  Now I am well established and semi-retired.  I find it really satisfying to help others make good decisions and avoid all the mistakes I had to make. You should rest assured, I am not selling anything.  There are still some people in the world that enjoy helping people just for the sake of helping.
Take care,
Patrick

Hi Patrick!

Welcome to Expat-Blog!:).

Very interested in moving. what can I expect in delays on services moving in? I plan to bring a minimum of essentials and hope the rest can be procured quickly. Is this the case? I need a simple 2 bedroom with a single bath and patio or deck. Nothing out of the ordinary, but a clean, upscale place that is not 3rd world, and I use that word having lived in Germany, France, Italy and others. What can I expect? I would love some feedback as I expect to be there by the middle of next year if the answers are good. Please help me.

I can recommend a good place outside of Quito...

Outside of quito. How far and why not in quito? Please advise. I am very interested in moving soon and would love an update on where. Thanks.

30-40 minutes, I canŽt stand being in Quito it is wall to wall traffic and the pollution is 2nd highest in the world I think. Drive down to Tumbaco 30 minutes dropping 800 meters and you have 2 malls with grocery stores and none of the paranoia about crime.  It is great to be close to the airport, restaurants and big malls in Quito, just not living in it. You should visit all the cool parts in Quito, but if you want a natural, peaceful life, look to the suburbs.

What is the cost of a 2 bedroom, 1 bath, living room and kitchen with a balcony that is fairly modern in the suburbs? Can we do a furnished and not have to buy any furniture for the most part? Do we need a vehicle if we live in the suburbs? Are they available?

Hi Rebecca7000,
You should may be have a look at the accomodation section in Ecuador Classifieds.
Hope this helps
Arlette

I just wanted to say that when we came down we planned to rent a furnished place. You may find that although they are plentiful, they are not to your taste. Our first landlord was a gringo, but still chose furnishings that were poor quality and not anything that we wanted to live with. We decided to renegotiate our rent and started acquiring our own furniture. There are lots of good craftsmen who can make furniture and also people are constantly having moving sales, so it is easy to pick up household goods from sales. Check GringoPost and GringoTree if in Cuenca. They may have the same in Quito or something similar. In Cuenca you can find anything using free posts. You will find that our expat community is very eager to help, whatever the need. Good luck with your new adventure!