Home help

Hi Fiji Expats,

I am moving to Fiji soon with my wife and 2 kids for a three year posting.  We are Australian and have been living in various parts of Asia for the last 10 years.

I am interested to know what the situation in Fiji (Suva) is for getting a nanny and a driver (I don't drive but will need a car to be getting around, taking the kids to school etc.

Is it possible to hire a nanny and if so, what are the monthly salaries (is it stipulated by a wage ordinance?) and same goes for a driver?  What would be the best method to find such staff?  Is there anything else I should know in this respect?

Thanks.

Hi there. My name is Mala from Fiji Island. Right now, I'm working in Papua New Guinea. I just read your post and I really want to help.
I can find a driver and a nanny for you if you want.
I'm working here for 3 years. After 6 months of work then I go on vacation to Fiji. My next visit to Fiji is on Easter next year.
This is my email:[email protected]
Please feel free to asked anything about Fiji.
I was with Fiji Military Forces for 8 years but now I'm working as a Private Contractor. I also live in a small town called Lami Town, situated outside Suva(10 minutes drive).
Looking forward to hear from you.

Thank you.
Mala.

Hi MrShankly,

I suggest you to post an advert in the Home help in Fiji section, with details of the job offer, this might surely help.

------------------------

Hi Fred14,

Please feel free to create new topic on the Fiji forum for sharing information with other members, this can surely help.

Regards,

David.

Hi David,

Thanks for the advice. 

However, as we have not even arrived yet in Fiji I am not ready to be offering anyone a job.  I am just doing some preliminary research and hoping someone can offer advice from their experience.

Cheers!

Bula Mr. S,

For your home help, be super careful who you let in the house. Petty theft a big problem here. Wait until you arrive and ask around amongst your colleagues for who has a long-term home help already. Then ask if that person can send a sister or cousin to work for you. Ideally you want a married woman in her early 30s with kids who are already in school, these are the most reliable people. Make sure she has a signed reference no more than 18 months old, and don't just take it at face value, make a phone call to the referee for a chat. It's not perfect but it will give you the best chance of a good outcome.

Domestic wages are low here, if you pay FJD$40(AUD$25) for a 9-4 working day with 30 min lunchbreak and a meal included that is above average and you will likely have a few people competing to get the job.

As for your driver. The licensing in this country is a sham, most people just buy their license. The roads are intensely dangerous. You want a retired military man for a driver - a married Christian churchgoing type in his late 30s to early 40s who doesn't drink alcohol, smoke or (crucially) drink Kava(also known as Yaqona or Grog). This is a tall order.

The right guy should have a character reference from his last CO or employer, again follow up and also check his license with the LTA that he does not have too many points or prior convictions. As for wages, I would say you're looking at about FJD $75.00 per day for the right type of person, though it might be a little more.

As an employer here you will need to contribute 8-10% of wages to FNPF (Superannuation fund) and the employee must match this from wages.

Do not do any cash in hand deals as you may end up in hot water with the FRCA (revenue) if the relationship with the employee turns sour. Everything legal and by the book. Ask your employer for advice and assistance.

Dobbing in and false accusations are all too common and as the foreigner you will always be on the wrong side, there is an abiding bitterness leftover from the colonial days, hidden behind a Bula smile. Despite this Fiji is a wonderful country and you can have a wonderful placement here if you take the proper steps to protect yourself and your family.

All the best,

JC