Travelling to Tanzania to Look for work

Hello,

My name is Rami, from Syria. I am planning a move to Tanzania to look for work. I have good London consulting experience and a brief stint at a national NGO here in Damascus. However, before I leap, I wanted to know what the job market is like for expats (both Private sector and NGOs)? are there any good opportunities for expats and if so, is 2 months enough time to find work? (I hear NGOs take their time before they invite someone for interview.. is this true?)

Also, how long it takes to obtain work permit (if I'm already in Tanzania) and do I have to leave the country before I can get the new Visa and start work?

I thought I would stay In Arusha. this way I can apply to both Dar and Nairobi and travel for interview as needed. I don't have a visa for Nairobi but hope to get one on the border.. not sure how feasible is this though!

I've been calling recruitment consultants in Dar/ Nairobi but the phone just rings on end.. which I take to be a bad sign!!

Any help with this is really appreciated.. I am after all trying to escape war!!

Many Thanks,

Rami

Good morning. I am welcoming you very much in my new startup as a salesman. How much salary would you want me to pay you?

There are three types of residence permits available in Tanzania. Self-employed foreigners (investors) are required to apply for a Class A permit while foreign employees must be approved for a Class B permit. Class C permits are relevant for other categories of residents such as students and missionaries. Applications for Class A and C permits should be forwarded directly to the Director of Immigration Services while applications for Class B permits should be forwarded to the Director of Immigration Services through the Labour Commissioner. The Labour Department is only involved in the issuance of Class B permits.

Residence permits can only be applied for in Dar-es-Salaam.

Application Process for Class A Permit
Application Form TIF.1 can be obtained at the Department of Immigration Services. There is no charge for the form and no processing fee. Along with a completed application form, the following items must be attached, Memorandum and Articles of association, CV of investor, verified birth Certificates plus 5 photographs passport size and a project write-up.

There is a fee of US S 1,600 for a Class A permit, which is generally valid for two years. Permits can be renewed for an additional period of two years for US $ 800.

Application Process for Class B Permits
To hire a foreign employee, a Class B permit must be applied for by the firm. The application form is available from the Department of Immigration (Form TIF. 1) at no cost and there is no processing fee. The application form should be accompanied with the following: five photographs, birth certificate, curriculum vitae, academic qualifications, proof of experience, organisational chart, offer of employment, proposed contract. The Labour Department reviews the application and makes a positive or negative recommendation to the Department of Immigration.

Class B residence permits have a fee of US $ 600 for two years. There is a renewal fee of US $ 300.

Note:
TIC Certificate holders will process their immigration and work permits through the Centre.

IMMIGRATION PASSES: Residence Permit Class A:
(i) For large capital investors in Companies, Industries, Fishing, Mineral and Transportation

First Issue

US $ 1,600

Renewal

US $ 800

(ii) For smal scale business, retailers, consumer shops, butcheries

First Issue

US $ 600

Renewal

US $ 300

(iii) For peasants

First Issue

US $ 50

Renewal

US $ 50

2. Resident Permit Class B
For employees in industries, private companies, public corporation and musical bands.

First Issue

US $ 600

Renewal

US $ 300

3. Resident Permit Class C
For missionaries Research and students

First Issue

US $ 100

Renewal

US $ 50

4. Dependant Pass
First Issue

US $ 100

Renewal

US $ 50

5. Special Pass

US $ 400

6. Visitors Pass

US $ 200

7. Re-entry Pass

US $ 20

Morning Ruga,

Thanks for the detailed response.. much appreciated indeed

once I'm in Dar, having received an offer, do you know how long it takes for me to obtain a work permit?

Best,

Rami