Living in Abu Dhabi from America

Hi There,

I am considering taking a job in Abu Dhabi. I have a few questions and would appreciate any feedback.

- I am young (25) woman whom will be moving alone from the United States, is this going to be significantly challenging for me? (I have living arrangements already taken care of as well as a job)
- What are the living conditions like (weather, people, safety)?
- Are there gyms and yoga studios there?
- Is it expensive? (food, clothes)
- Is it easy to get along without a car?
- Are there any customs that I should be familiar with?
If you feel there is anything else I need to know I appreciate the insiders point of view.

Thank you in advance!
~ R

Hi there

Did you move here?  If so reply and we can get in touch

ref523 wrote:

- I am young (25) woman whom will be moving alone from the United States, is this going to be significantly challenging for me? (I have living arrangements already taken care of as well as a job)That is a good start. If you have the living arrangements settled, you are half way there. Rents are volatile and a pain in the **s to deal with.

- What are the living conditions like (weather, people, safety)?For the most part the living conditions are great. The weather is warm. It is starting to get a bit more humid, but it is not overwhelming yet. Not sure what ares of the states you are from...We are getting cool breezes off the water in the evening, and during the day you tend to go from AC office to AC car/taxi and home to AC. Admittedly there have been some days that the heat was bad and the humidity was high. I am from the Rockies, and I have not found it unpleasant yet. People: You will find a lot of opinions about the people here. I have one friend who tolerates Arabs (she has been here 10 years) and can't wait to leave and not have to deal with them. Others will tell you out right that they hate it here and the people are rude, selfish and self centered. I have found that it all depends on your attitude toward others. Personally I have not met one person who I totally dislike... I have to say it that way since I met a man up at the carpet souq who I do not like. Every time I go up there, he wants to argue about America. I have met true Emiratie's, and Emirati wannabes that have been wonderful. I have also met wannabes who are very hateful toward any western people. If you can try to understand the culture, you will understand the people. Safety: Since I am a spouse, I have a lot of free time to wander the city and explore. I have never felt unsafe anywhere at any time. I do try to use common sense and if I am going into a predominantly Pakistani or Indian area I do wear more modest clothing and often cover my head. I don't wear revealing clothing, and I don't look the men in the eyes as I am walking by. (However when I am negotiating a deal or talking to a shop owner, I have had no problems looking eye to eye with them. With safety, it is all common sense.

- Are there gyms and yoga studios there? Yes there are gyms and yoga studios here. There is World Gym and a couple others. I know ther is a good yoga studio... can't think of the name of it right now. I don't use them though since my apt comes with a gym, pool and personal trainer. (I am allergic to exercise though... lol
- Is it expensive? (food, clothes)As with just about any place... it depends on your tastes in food and clothes. Clothing is about the same as in the states. There is a cute dress that one of my friends' daughter wants at Debbenhams that is 400dh...In the states it would probably be about the same price (close to 100$) The last pants I go were linen and about 40usd... If you watch and hit the sales, you can get some really good deals (Plus if you see something that has been on the rack for a month and not sold ask for a better price, It is just taking up space for new inventory).
- Is it easy to get along without a car? Yes Yes Yes... Taxi's are abundant and the bus system is decent. I am a frequent user of both. If you live on island almost everything is in walking distance.
- Are there any customs that I should be familiar with? 1. This is a Muslim country... adapt. 2. Do not be offended if a man refuses to shake hands with you.  3. read about this area. (Book list below)

For an overview of an Arab country and how many of the women in the surrounding countries live... I recommend the "Princess series" Jean Sasson Bk1 "Princess", Bk2 "Daughters of Arabia", Bk3 "Desert Royal". This is not life in the UAE. However it will give you insight to the culture.

Must read - "Don't they know it's Friday" Absolute must read if you are working here.

"Rag's To Riches" is another excellent one. Admittedly is is from one perspective, but that gives you a lot of insight.

One that I liked was "Understanding Arabs" Nydell. It is a lot like the Friday book, but more in depth and from a womans perspective.

As far as websites... Grape Shisha

If you have any other questions... just ask.