Introducing myself

Hi everyone!  Just thought I would introduce myself, as I am new to the forum.

My name is Angie.  I moved to Egypt with my family this past March from Minnesota, USA.  My husband is egyptian, we've been married for almost 11 years now, and have 3 children.  We decided to come to Cairo to live near my inlaws for a while, for my kids to get to know the other half of their family and to hopefully learn arabic.

We live in Al Rehab, and I stay at home with my kids.  The older 2 (girls, aged 9 and 4.5) will be starting school here for the first time in the fall.  I am hoping that they acclimate easily, the move hasn't been the easiest of things for them.  I also have a son who is 2.5 years old.

I am finding it hard to get out and meet people, and am definitely missing my home quite a bit.  Looking forward to getting to know you here on the forum :)

Hi Angie,

Welcome to Egypt :)

Hope you enjoy it here  & that the kids can blend in :)

Hey Angie!! WElcome to the forum :D

I am back in the states for a bit. ND infact ;)
I have a daughter that's 2.5 also maybe we could get together when I return :D

Hope things get easier as far as adjusting :)

Welcome to Egypt

Hi Angie!

Welcome on Expat-blog! :) Wish you get lots of new contacts on the site...

All the best,
Christine

Hi Angie

Try this website.  They have 'meet-ups' on a regular basis.

expatfocus.com/expatriate-forums-egypt

Also there are quite a few expats who meet up at TOTA restaurant in the souk in El Rehab City.  Once the children start school I am sure you will meet lots of new people.

Hi Angie!  I'm from Missouri, I've got a good friend that's from Stillwater, MN.  How do you like Egypt compared to the US??  I'm moving to Cairo to go the American University next week and am trying not to get there with too many preconceived notions ;)

I know how your little ones feel. I felt the same when I moved here as a tween. It took time to adjust and to understand how things roll here. If you're girls are enrolled at an International school, they will settle down a lot quicker once they make friends.
If they are in an Egyptian language school then it may take a bit longer. Those schools are very different to schools back home.

Nice to meet you!  I am Thia and I will be there soon, so hopefully with my free time we can get out and do something.
I was in Egypt for 9months, just back the end of may, so I am  a little familiar with some areas.  When I was there I went
out always with my husband who is Egyptian. This time I will have my daughter with me so, it will be more of a ladies thing.

Take care and I will be in touch.

Thia

Thank you all for the warm welcome! 

I knew what I was getting into when moving over here, as I have visited quite a few times and stayed for up to 2 months at a time,  but it has been harder for me to get myself out there and just live, if you know what I mean.  I am pretty shy with people I don't know, I'm not the type to just go up to someone and introduce myself, so that makes it even harder for me.  We are still trying to get settled, getting necessary licenses and ID's were an absolute headache for us, as was finding a school for my kids.  Everything here just seems so much harder than back in the US, I often times wonder why did I do this?! My biggest worry is about my kids and how they will handle everything here.  Hopefully once school starts they will make friends and get back into the groove of things.

Epicanmeraty - That sounds great!  When you are in Egypt which city are you in?  I lived in ND for a short time right out of school, Grafton actually.  Ever heard of that town?  Little bitty thing about an hour from the Canadian border.  I worked at the local radio station.  I didn't stay on long though because I got homesick!  That was living 6 hours from my family, can you imagine how I feel now?!  LOL! 

Shorouky - Thanks for the tip on TOTA.  I haven't gone there, but know exactly where it is.  I think it will be a good place for me and my son to go once my daughters are back in school.  Thanks again :)

aaronthorns - Well, what a small world!  Guess where I am from??  Yep, Stillwater :)  You'll have to let me know your friends name on the odd chance I may know them (or their family at least, as I am guessing they are probably college aged and I am quite a few years past that ;)  I never thought I would miss my town as much as I do!  I can't believe I am actually saying this, but I really think I am going to miss WINTER!!  Yes, snow and all!  LOL!  I miss the changing of the seasons already, and I haven't even been here that long!  To me, every day here seems the same as the one before, at least weather wise.  That is definitely something you can't say about MN!  Hope you have a great experience at the AUC!  We live not far from the new campus, and it looks absolutely beautiful!

IrishAlexandrian - Thanks for your reply.  My girls are going to a Language School.  The prices here for the International Schools are outrageous!!  Especially when earning an Egyptian salary.  I honestly do not know how anyone(besides expats making expat wages) can afford to send 1, let alone 2 or 3 kids to one of those schools!  The process of getting them into school here has been so stressful.  My plan when we came back in March was to enroll my oldest and get her going right away.  Well, things were definitely not that easy, and she ended up not finishing the last year.  So, she has been on break since march unfortunately :(  I am afraid that she will be behind the other students, and on top of that, she will most likely be the oldest in her class, as they start school earlier in age here in Egypt than back home.  I am glad that her scores in Arabic will be 100% exempt the first year, she really seeems to be resisting trying to learn the language at all.  None of my kids speak or really understand the language.  I just hope, especially for my oldest whom I am the most worried about, that she finds some really good friends and has a really good teacher that makes her feel welcome and comfortable, and she can come out of her shell.  I'm really not worried about my 4 year old, as she is more outgoing and is already catching on to little bits of arabic here and there, and seems willing and excited to learn :)

Mulan460 - That really sounds great Thia!  When you get back I would love to meet you :)  My husband is also Egyptian, maybe we could all meet sometime.  How old is your daughter?

Thanks again to everyone else who also welcomed me so warmly!  I really do appreciate it :)

Angie

Hi Angie,
I have been in Rehab for 2 and a half weeks now.  I have an 18 month old son, who would love some playmates! I was going to venture to Tota today but my little boy sleeps in the morning and then we are going swimming at my husbands school.  It would be great to meet up with you.  I dont know how to send a private message with my phone number on.  We could arrange to meet one day next week after the Eid holidays.  Let me know what you think.  Natasha

It's advisable to get your kids Egyptian friends to learn the language and how life works here

I have been living in Rehab for 8 years now...best place to live in Cairo

I think expats living in Rehab could be more close to each other

hahah
you again night express

Hi,all.I would like to introduce myself too.
I am Ukrainian.I live in Beni-Suef for 5 years.I am married to an Egyptian.We have 2 beautiful sons.

prevet

welcome to cairo , hope u enjoy ur stay here

i've been in rehab since august...it would be nice meeting new friends around here:)

Yup, I heard great things about El Rehab. I am sure you'll have a great time. I live in Heliopolis which is not that far from El Rehab. Enjoy!