Malta - want it all - Job/Housing/Bank Accounts etc Assistance please

I expect this has been raised a number of times but i shall start another stream!

My partner and I want to move to Malta early next year, we will both need work and want somewhere to live. What are peoples recommendations for us?

All thoughts gratefully received as are JOB OFFERS!

This is intended to be a permanent move as we have no intention of returning to the Uk, in fact when residency is an option we will both become Maltese!

Many thanks

Martin

Hi Martin,

unless you have Maltese parents,grandparents or other ties to Malta you cannot become Maltese.

Or do you you mean residency ? If so , you can just move to Malta and register. Please be exact with what you ask as it is very important to be able to give an adequate answer.

The most important point is the job question ! What are you looking or or qualified for ?

Cheers
Ricky

Hi martin
You should check out the ETC website for current vacancies, Maltapark.com and the job board on this site , to see whats availible , there are usually lots of jobs on offer but depending on your skills and the areas you wish to live this will limit whats availble , there are plenty of unskilled jobs going throughout the year but the minimum wage here isnt that high and it will depend on the season , also most of these are part-time.

for finding places to live this can be fairly easy ,  renting in november/december is cheaper and easier but you can find places at other times of the year, just that they charge more because they could rent the place short term but if your happy to sign up for 12 months or more this can often get you a decent price .  if you want quiet  consider south of the island or gozo , but transport links may cause issues for finding  work there is a regular bus service but traffic is a huge problem specifically in the mornings .

ricky is right about residency  you can just come to the island and you have 3 months to apply for residency its a fairly easy process and  you have the right to remain on the island (as eu citizens) and its really just administrative process but you don't have to worry about that until you get here.

Bank accounts
again something you sort out when you arrive , banks have varying criteria but as long as you have id proof of residential address and a contract of employment you should have no issues getting a bank account most can ask your former bank for a reference usually just to check that you have banking history although the bank of valletta just took an employment contract .

the things to think about now is where you want to live , what kind of work your looking for and saving money to make your trip and your first few months comfortable as you may find that a lot of companies pay from a set date each month to a set date the  following month and depending when you start you could wait almost two months to get paid .

if you have any questions just ask  and i wish you all the best in sorting things out

One important point. One does NOT apply for residency if one is from the EU. One is entitled to reside and work in any EU country. One informs Malta authorities of one's intention by applying for an e-Resident card. Also, I am informed, if a bona fide job seeker, one has 180 days in which to do this. Read this:  https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=370643

Also I suggest you read all the other posts, comments and articles already on this forum to gain insight into life, work and leisure here.

robpw2 wrote:

Bank accounts
again something you sort out when you arrive , banks have varying criteria but as long as you have id proof of residential address and a contract of employment you should have no issues getting a bank account most can ask your former bank for a reference usually just to check that you have banking history although the bank of valletta just took an employment contract .

for me that didn't do it, they needed the bank refference from previous bank
i do remember that banif bank didn't ask for that, but in return you had to put 50e in savings every month for 12 months, after 12 months you can take that money out

The requirements and evidence required for which to open a bank account can vary between branches of the same bank. I assure you. Nothing surprising there.

you may open an account at mediterranean bank too. just send an email to [email protected] to get more details visit www.medbank.com.mt   - they offer an online ebanking service including a trading platform where you can trade online in local and international securities.

Finding a job may or may not be that easy, a friend of mine has lived here 20 years and struggles to find work, she lives in a tourist area.  IGaming seems to be a big employer.  HSBC has their UK call centre here and require English speaking CSR... Hotels have English speaking sales reps.  The majority of office work requires you to speak and read maltese ... Am sure you will find something ...

I am sunil from India - Tamil Nadu. I wish to work in Malta. Can you guide me as to how i can approch for it. If you have contacts of any agencies. Basically I am Mnanger in Human Resourses and Administration. I am open for any Job.