What made you decide to live in Vietnam

Hi Guys,

I currently live in Australia so I am pretty much planning to relocate and live in Vietnam sometime in 2015 and just wanted to know what was your reason or reasons you decided to move and live in Vietnam? did it work out? was it the best decision you made? was it something you regret?

My reasons to move there are the people are friendly, I get a sense of achievement in helping young people in the park wanting to talk English, things are cheaper, its hot, fast paced, Vietnamese women are very beautiful, I need to get out of my comfort zone, I need to experience new things / need a change, I love the history and learning about the culture, just love the place in general although a little hot nothing I cant handle hehe.

Only thing that scares is finding a job part to allow me to continue to live there.

Would love to know your reasons.

There is a same topic like this, but I don't remember the name, so I can't search it for you.

Just want to subscribe this topic to hear more.

My French teacher just told me that he wants to come back to France as soon as possible, cause people here do not respect him anymore, Vietnamese changed.

I want to know whether he is right or just too negative?!

As long as you can get a good job, Vietnam will become a paradise. Food is delicious, beer is cheap, the girl are beautiful, people are friendly. Some of my friend are Australian, they are all working for CBA (an Australian bank), they have lived in VN for a year then moved back to Australia, some moved to Singapore or Hongkong. All of them love to be back Vietnam, the point is they are still single. You can also teach English or work for a foreign company in Vietnam, life is not so wonderful but we can call "comfortable life". It's worth to experience!

I used to live in Dubai, UAE for 3years. It's a big city and very modernize.

When i first came to Vietnam, just January this year i seriously fell in love with the country, by the way I'm currently living in Vung Tau (2hrs. Away from hcmc)

Last july 18 i came back and started to find a job, you are australian and I'm sure you can easily find a job as a teacher, they can pay you higher than asian teachers because your native language is english.

Food is cheap, taxi is cheap, you can buy a bike or a motorcycle, for me this place is more safer than my home country (philippines)
People (specially in Vungtau) are living very simple. They live day by day even with a low salary and you will never hear any complaints. I love this type of lifestyle and I'm planning to settle here. :)

Nextyear I'll bring my family so they can experience the vietnam life even for few days :D

Goodluck and hope that you'll find sucess and peace in vietnam. :)

Same reasons you did except for hot weather (that goes in the - category for me).

I would definitely say it worked out even though I was thinking long-term and I now have my sights on another country for 2015 and (possibly) beyond...

Still I enjoy the life here and have made enough friends that if I do make a change I would still come back as often as possible for a visit.

Good luck!

There are many reasons and I could proably write a book. But it comes down to a very simple reason. I am 55 years old, some physical disabilities, 15 kilo overweight, and just considered an old fat poor guy in America. Here I am rich handsome forienger. Most of the men I admired and considered more than friends are dead do to forieng policy needs of my country. I have aquired some new friends in Vietnam and I want to spend my life here.

Glad that you found your happiness in Vietnam :D

Iwonder if they call you Stevie......ha ha .
  I'm from Australia as well and been here a few years.
You can live a very good life here if your smart.   Unfortunately a lot of expats fall victim to the VERY cheap alcohol and believe it when a woman less than half their age tells them they're handsome and want to marry them.  If you can't control that thing between your knees and you have a taste for the cheap piss, then your in for a very interesting time.  That's usually the Downfall off a lot of guys.

Depending on where you settle, you can have a great life.  The climate here where I am is the best in all SE ASIA.  A very short wet season, it hardly rains. No monsoons, cyclones etc.  it has everything I need and the cost of living is low. .  I actually live here on a small fraction of the income I recieve from Australia. I save the bulk of my income and am living a vibrant ,healthy and interesting life.

Less crowded, easy going .. Majorly safe. cheap beer. and hospitality.. but for sure it will depend on your job and earning potential..