Moving to Bahrain

Hi,
I am trying to work out cost comparisons between UK & Bahrain, and thanks to lots of posts on here I've found a lot out but I've just got a few questions I couldn't find the answers to & was hoping someone would be able to help...

I understand that when leasing a car, everything is included like tax, insurance etc, is this correct? But if you own your own car what are the costs like for insurance, tax etc? It would be a family car, possibly an suv.

I have also seen that with most rental properties the utilities are included, but how much are things like home insurance and anything else that may fall under the home costs?

Is a TV licence or equivalent required?

Anything else cost related that you can think of would be a great help too. TIA xx

Hi Luv

Start here:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=231960

Tax- around 200BD a year, all in- for the car.  Includes licensing etc.

Hi

Leasing I personally feel is the best option as everything is covered. Driving here is reckless and there are lots of accidents so having to deal with that yourself can be a nightmare. I'm not sure on insurance and tax. Maybe Farhaz can answer that one

Utilities are usually included in fully furnished properties but not normally in unfurnished.

Contents insurance depends on your cover. AXA do a good one at around BD130 a year

No TV licence required

Other cost which are covered throughout the forum include internet, tv (if not covered by landlord) mobile phone, medical care, schools, etc etc

We were told we couldn't get internet service until we have our CPR card! Do you know if that's true, if so how long does it normally take?

You can get an internet stick and they will work fine until you get your CPR.  But yes, you will need that CPR to subscribe to services.  The sticks work great and are fairly priced - you can get them at almost any cell provider store like Batelco or Viva.

My CPR took a little less than 3 weeks, but I was told the range is usually 4-6 weeks.

My friend got 4G internet without CPR through menatelecom. She just paid 6 months up front and then gave them her credit card details for the next 6 months. Menatelecom is great in the way that the router doesn't need to be plugged in to a cable so you can take it to your friends house etc. My son took his when he had an operation and had to stay in hospital. So.....yes you need CPR....but there are ways around it and just like Relwell said, it doesn't take long to get and the mobile phone data is BD3 a month for unlimited use so if you have a smart phone you won't suffer too much.

If your place is all inclusive then your landlord should provide internet. If not then try to negotiate it as part of the deal. Landlords always negotiate as an empty property is no good to them at all

Thanks everyone, there is just so much to think about! We are getting there slowly...