Real estate purchase price question

My wife & I are preparing to make an offer on a property in San Juan. Since this is a buyer's market (due to the economic situation) we plan to offer under asking price; however without MLS it is a bit difficult to figure out what the correct offer/asking ratio is. Can anyone comment on this based on their own experience? We are a bit reluctant to ask our real estate agent since he benefits financially if we pay too much. Most of my Puerto Rican friends that own their homes bought several years ago when the market was stronger. Comments welcome!

I can tell my experience about rental. They usually goes down at a maximum of 5%. Never saw more.

You can play with up to 10% and be open for a counter offer. If i was you i would have 2 -3 other options too in case the negotiation do go well.

It will usually be based on where you work, who is you and how much security you pass for the person.

Hope I have help you.

There is no rule as to how much less than asking you can offer. Don't be afraid to offer 15-20% less than asking, especially if the property has been on the market for a bit of time and there are no other offers in sight. No matter what your agent says, he/she is obligated to present it to the seller. Remember that you are not going to go down on your offer, so start below what you think the seller will actually take and see what the response is. If you don't try you will never know. I recently successfully negotiated the purchase of my condo at 17% below asking. The conditions were right and the seller wanted out.

Good morning and Happy New Year!  Anolis, were you able to go through with your purchase of a home?  And how did it go?

Yes, we settled on the condo back in May. The bank took a long time to get their act together, but the actual closing went very smoothly, thanks to our really excellent agent who made sure that everything was in line. We couldn't be happier with the condo and with the redevelopment of Rosy Roads now on the horizon (we're maybe 1/2 mile from one of the gates) we are really glad that we bought now.

Sorry, thought that you were addressing me since we call our place Casa Anolis.

:) No problem but I'm glad that you are very happy with your location.  Sounds like it went very smoothly unlike some other cases I've heard about, good for you!

Schuttzie wrote:

Good morning and Happy New Year!  Anolis, were you able to go through with your purchase of a home?  And how did it go?

We did make an offer at about 20% under the asking price. We felt that this was a fair price based on the comparable places on the market, but we could not reach an agreement on price with the seller. I believe the sellers have a mortgage on the apartment, so that may be why. We are renting an apartment in Miramar instead that is great on a very nice & safe street, but we will continue to look.

Well, I'm sorry you weren't able to get the home that you wanted but something will come along even better for you.  Things happen for a reason.  Blessings in the new year!