How to get a Norwegian Passport for baby

Hi. I'm shelly from philippines. A mom of a 6 month old filipino-norwegian baby.
I was just wondering what are the requirements in getting a norwegian passport for our baby, what are the steps and how much does it cost and also how long will it take for our baby to have a passport? And btw our baby was born here in the philippines. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you! :)

Shelly. I would guess your husband would be the one best equipped to ask his Embassy or government how to get a passport.

as far as i know, being born to a Norwegian parent, makes your child a norwegian citizen as well (even tho ur pinoy and ur child is born in the Philippines)...

i am not sure about the process, but since your child is a Norwegian citizen, you can acquire a passport from a Norwegian embassy from your country (Philippines)... this is what i read:

Career missions have the same authority to
issue passports as police districts in Norway. The
statutory basis, application procedures and fees
are the same as those in Norway...
In order for a minor to be issued with a passport,
both parents must sign the passport application.
The purpose of this is to prevent one of the
parents from taking the child out of the country or
away from its permanent place of residence without
the consent of the other parent...

for details, you can check this link:
Assistance to Norwegians (Norway.ph)

you can also email the norwegian embassy in the philippines: [email protected]

they are really helpful and are quick to respond. :)

just to add, i was able to research about the citizenship further. and here's what i found (i included source links to validate the facts).

1. being born to a norwegian parent, qualifies your baby as a norwegian citizen automatically. source: Norwegian by birth
2. same goes to being a filipino citizen, since you as her mother is a filipino citizen. source: Filipino Citizenship

....If one of your parents is Norwegian, you probably automatically became a Norwegian citizen when you were born. If your other parent's home country has the same rule, you will also be given that country's citizenship and you will thus have dual citizenship. This only applies if you automatically became a citizen of both countries when you were born, and not if your parents took any action (for example submitted an application or notification) in order for you to be granted the second citizenship....

with these facts, that makes your baby a dual citizen - both Norwegian and Filipino - since she is born to a norwegian father and filipino mother. source: Dual Citizenship (udi.no)

that means, being a Norwegian and a Filipino citizen, your baby can have both passports -- Norway and Philippine passports.. for the philippine passport, thats an application process with DFA (Department of Foreign Affairs, Philippines).. for the Norwegian passport, thats with the Norwegian embassy.. as stated in the link i have on my previous post, the process/requirements/fees will be the same as the police process (coz Norwegians apply/renew passports at the police station in Norway), so your husband can help you familiarize with this.. or better yet, contact the embassy thru email.

hope this helps :)

Thank you so much for that information, it is very helpful. We are actually processing it now as we have plans in moving to norway as a family. Currently my husband works here in the Philippines and he's looking for a job in norway online so we can go there someday. :)

Hi Guys,

Good Morning,

I would like to share the story of my fam visa application.

I met my husband last year Aug 2014- Sept 2014 and next Dec 2014- Jun 2015. He is a pensioner due to his little injury of his back but he is very normal. We lived together in Philippines for 7 months and 3 weeks therefore it's almost 8 months. We got married Jun 2015 civil wedding I was 27 year old and he's 39 year old and now I am 28 year old and his still 39.
I applied last Sept 04 2015 submitted in VFS Makati and I received the result of my application Sept 10, 2015 it's actually less than a week the embassy made a decision of my application and it was GRANTED. Husband I didn't expect, were overwhelmed of joy.

They are right that its case to case basis.
We met all the requirements needed.
My husband pension is higher than their income bracket
Our age gap is 10 years
We both married in the right age meaning we actually married without the consent of our parents
I'm 13 weeks pregnant
I didn't provide pictures on our application.
I answered very short and precise answers
I submitted my pregnancy ultrasound.
And I think our educational background is also matter, how did they know your educational background? If you remember the application portal there was a question related to your educational attainment that's why I'm thinking it's also a part of it.
I'm a nurse graduate and I never had kids and same with my husband. My pregnancy is our first baby.

I think it's really case to case basis and how you answer your checklist.

Good luck Everybody
I husband came from Northern part of Norway Leknes in Lofoten

Be hopeful all the time.

hi jen.

thank you for sharing this, but somehow ur post landed on a topic about Norwegian passport for babies  :D

it would be helpful to share this on my thread which is a more relevant topic:
Case Processing times for applications in the Philippines - expat-blog.com

also,  it might be important to include that you had never been to norway... because our assumption is that those who had been to norway takes a longer time for a decision as well.. :(

Hellow first step is bring ur baby and also yhe father on norway embassy on taguig global then sign a paternity there...its takes 1 year to get the passport...we payed more or less 40 thousand

Hi there,

Can you tell me more about the process and requirements because as of now we are still processing it. Hope you can help me with my case now☹️