Vung Tau Recommendations from some expats living there.....

Hey all,

I have been living in HCMC for 3 years now but me and the wife have decided to move to VT. I would love some help from other expats living there on what the best locations to live are or apartment recommendations. A house would be fine also.
    How is the job market in that area? I prefer not to teach but would if I had to. Most of my work has been overseas in fire and safety field. I am really looking to get in the oil industry or something along that line of work but have no contacts over here in HCMC. That is my preferred area of work. I look online all the time but I think meeting people is the best opportunity at that.
   So basically me and the wife are coming there blind. Other than vacationing over there on weekend trips. Any help would be extremely appreciated ! Beers on me when I move !!

Chris

Welcome to Vung Tau, lovely and peaceful place !

1. Job market in Vung Tau is not as in HCMC, not so many available jobs here. Here are popular jobs for foreigner in Vung Tau : English teacher, oil engineer, .... no thing more :( . There are more jobs in Phu My - industrial zone, but about 30 Km far away from Vung Tau, and the life there is boring!

2. Where to live: You'd better find an apartment ( Like my place  :D ). If you live in a hotel, you will spend a lot of money. If you rent a house or a small room, there will be no guard, fire alarm etc... An apartment is best choice for most expats living in Vung Tau. And it's cool that the renting price is quite cheap, about $300-$700 based on location and scene view.

3. Where to gossip in Vung Tau : lots of bars along the beach , Tran Phu St., Ha Long St. etc ... Just get in a taxi and tell him " I want to drink some beer !" he will take you there  :par:

Thanks for the heads up !  I will probably just look at an apartment. I don't need a furnished one since I will be just bringing my stuff from HCMC. Any idea on what ward would be the best to look in ?

Hi! Check blue coast hotel. It's very cheap and nice 😄

Hi Chris!

I just seen your post on moving to vungtau and I hope everything has worked out for you and your wife!  I'm also looking to move permanently to vungtau from hcm as my gf is born and raised there and has just landed a job working for a big international company in vungtau. I've been living in hcm for the last 18 months and I love it but I prefer vungtau! I'm currently looking for work down there but as you probably know by now it's not so easy for westerners! Anyway.. I hope to hear from you soon and take care!

Lee :)

Hi Chris. Lac Long Quan is an area where a lot of expats live, can be a little on the pricey side though. Vung Tau Plaza in the town has nice apartments at reasonable rates. Avoid Sea View unless you have your own transport as it's a little way out. There's also Hodeco and Saigonres apartments.

Lots of great bars, most contain bar girls but there are a few where you can have a quiet drink or a rowdy one if that's your thing.
Good places to eat include: David's Pizzeria, Ganh Hao & Bistro 9 but generally there are good places everywhere. As you've lived in HCM for a while you know the score, if it's full of people it's cheap and good food.
Good luck