NEW COMER TO MUSCAT! NEED INFORMATION

I am planning to be in Muscat in the first week of January 2015. I will be joining an American oil company and they are paying me approx 1,500 OMR (accommodation, car, food is all on me). I am a bachelor.

Thanks a lot!

1)    I am looking for a one bedroom apartment with pool and gym preferably but not necessary,……….. in areas of (north & south Ghubra and north Al-Azabah). I would also like supermarkets or small groceries stores, laundry, shopping  area etc to be around that apartments.
Many people on this forum mentioned that monthly rent would be around 280 to 375 for an unfurnished apartment.  I also would like to know how much it would cost for a furnished one bedroom apartment in these above locations? I have a very simple life style. I do not smoke or drink.
Would you able to guide me in respect of apartment rental websites?
2)    Where to buy house-hold appliances and furniture? Not necessarily brand new!
3)    On this forum many people have mentioned that monthly cost to hire a car is approx 150/200, whereas on Avis, Europcar etc websites I got a quote of approx 350 a month?
4)    From where to buy a used car? My budget is approx  2000 to 3500 OMR?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please refer to my replies in RED

1)    I am looking for a one bedroom apartment with pool and gym preferably but not necessary,……….. in areas of (north & south Ghubra and north Al-Azabah) [Please note that a 1BR apartment with a pool and gym will cost you not less than OMR 700 - 800 in the mentioned area] . I would also like supermarkets or small groceries stores, laundry, shopping  area etc to be around that apartments [Apartments near commercial areas donot have pool / gym facilities in general. The rents of such apartments are less comparitively].
Many people on this forum mentioned that monthly rent would be around 280 to 375 for an unfurnished apartment [Correct]. I also would like to know how much it would cost for a furnished one bedroom apartment in these above locations? [Furnished apartments are generally hard to find, however if found, a 1BR furnished apartment without pool and gym will cost you not less than OMR 500 /month]. I have a very simple life style. I do not smoke or drink.
Would you able to guide me in respect of apartment rental websites?
2)    Where to buy house-hold appliances and furniture? Not necessarily brand new! [Many places, depending upon your budget.Most of the people sell the used stuff online as well. Check facebook buy and sell pages in Muscat (or dubizzle is another good source)].
3)    On this forum many people have mentioned that monthly cost to hire a car is approx 150/200 (Correct), whereas on Avis, Europcar etc websites I got a quote of approx 350 a month? [This is because Avis/Europcar are expensive ones. Many of the local rent-a-car companies quote much lesser  when you physically approach them].
4)    From where to buy a used car? My budget is approx  2000 to 3500 OMR?  [Used cars are widely available all over Oman. Many local showrooms / private owners keep selling their vehicles. Not a big issue].

Trust the above information would help.

Thanks so much for your detailed response. Much appreciated!

canada2006 wrote:

Thanks so much for your detailed response. Much appreciated!

You're most welcome brother!