Binh Thanh District: International School Saigon Pearl

I am considering teaching at the International School Saigon Pearly in the Binh Thanh District. I like what I'm seeing, but I'm wondering about housing in the area. I'd just as soon walk to school each day. I'm seeing housing in the $900 - $1200 range. Is this right? Also, if anyone is living in this area, what is it like? Can a middle-aged couple find groceries, restaurants, health club there?

(Moderated: please post in the housing section)

Binh Thanh is a well populated area and has all the facilities you expect to find in a modern urban area. SaiGon/Ho Chi Minh City is no different - except it is large and has around 10-million souls squeezed in the Metro area.

Your short list of requirements is available in the area.

The challenge for bicycling is the crowded streets - especially Dien Bien Phu Street at rush hours. You will have to buy a motorscooter/cycle for transportation - is only to avoid being knocked off your bicycle! Cycling is practical at off-hours BUT you should buy Kevlar inner tube protection strips  as the roads are filled with junk.

I ride a Dahon and I expect at least one flat a week. But it is not a problem as there are tire/tyre repair people dotted around the streets.

You can check CRAIGS LIST VIETNAM. DO NOTHING ABOUT RENTING A PLACE UNTIL AFTER YOU ARRIVE. It is common to put up at a (cheap) hotel for a week or two whilst you get oriented.

Is your prospective employer offering you a contract? Will they look after Work Permits? (Enter the country on 3-month tourist visas) They will undoubtedly be able to assist you with a lot of your questions.

(Moderated: please post in the housing section)

If its just you and your husband and you do not need much space, you can get a room at the Topaz tower across the street for around 900 I believe.