Close

For Cheese Lovers Only

Yup.... you can get heavy cream at Super Maxi for sure ! I make quiche with it. Very heavy and rich.

DorothyPeck :

It is official! Cheese is addictive. This story was published in the Los Angeles Times....

Your cheese addiction has been validated by science.

The Today Show, which is shown daily Monday-Friday via DirecTV in Ecuador, picked up this "dairy crack" item in its What's Trending segment.

Four of the five Today Show personalities at the cheese-tray segment said they'd sooner give up chocolate than cheese.

The fifth, Savannah Guthrie, eventually agreed, saying you could substitute something sweet for chocolate, "But there's only one cheese."

Al Roker recalled that "my mom used to make a great open-faced Velveeta grilled-cheese sandwich with tomato."

That sounds delicious here in cheese-challenged Ecuador although Velveeta is not considered high-brow stuff in North America. 

We miss Velveeta and a sandwich like Al's Mom used to make.

cccmedia at the Expat Cheese Desk in Quito

Velveeta has its place in the world, no matter its credentialed *cheese* failings. Mac and cheese starring Velveeta, is smooth and delicious.  :thanks:

Make apologies for no cheese, they are all worthy. It's just that Ecuador needs more than just the one, queso blanco. One cheese is just no way not enough.

Hi are you saying that you can only get 1 kind of cheese in Cuenca/Ecuador?
Queso Blanco is all the option There is???????????  Please tell me I am wrong.

Things have actually improved since Top Cat has visited, as documented on this thread.

There's a growing variety of cheeses -- though not equalling what you'd find in upscale North American supermarkets -- now available at Ecuador's top stores such as my favorite, MegaMaxi Six in Quito.

I even bought Brie there this week.

If you go to a mom 'n pop store, however, all you may find is queso blanco and more queso blanco.

That is great for Quito but what about Cuenca.  Quito is far to go from Cuenca for cheese.  It does not have to be upscale just regular cheese!

At #28,

ZenSPIKE wrote: I did find a source for fantastic cheese here in Cuenca. His Blue Cheese is as good as any I've had. ... He carries a large assortment of cheese.... If interested, I'll dig out his card.

I haven't seen him give the details yet of where this "fantastic cheese...in Cuenca" is to be found. I'm still planning to bring a quantity with me when I come in late February. Just don't want to take any chances.

DorothyPeck :

At #28,

ZenSPIKE wrote: I did find a source for fantastic cheese here in Cuenca. His Blue Cheese is as good as any I've had. ... He carries a large assortment of cheese.... If interested, I'll dig out his card.

I haven't seen him give the details yet of where this "fantastic cheese...in Cuenca" is to be found. I'm still planning to bring a quantity with me when I come in late February. Just don't want to take any chances.

Hate to see anyone go through cheese withdrawal in a foreign country.

mugtech wrote:

Hate to see anyone go through cheese withdrawal in a foreign country.

I might need to find a 12-step Cheese Addicts Anonymous group in Cuenca if I run out of cheese.

It is horrible any time/place been there done that!

ZenSPIKE :

I did find a source for fantastic cheese here in Cuenca...

He carries a large assortment of cheese....If interested, I'll dig out his card.

Interested?

I'll say they're interested.

Dig out that card, Zen, before premature cheese withdrawal claims any of these cheese-lovin' posters!

OMG!! Davinna, a new member gave a link on a thread about cider vinegar & coconut oil which might be an answer to the prayers of multiple members: Enrico Fradanno Il, real, gourmet cheese

Real Italian cheese and he'll deliver to your home!!! Perhaps this is the one of whom ZenSPIKE wrote.

This guy found the cheese!

Foch Plaza in La Mariscal, Satudays only. He says they have everything.

http://latinamericacurrentevents.com/qu … day/35317/

gardener1 :

This guy found the cheese!

Foch Plaza in La Mariscal, Saturdays only.

http://latinamericacurrentevents.com/qu … day/35317/

The on-camera speaker is a budget traveler and couch-surfer named Marco who claims that this moveable vendor, Il Formaggio (Italian for "the cheese"), offers European-style "hand-made" cheeses operating in the open space at Foch Plaza.

They are "always there" every Saturday, he claims.

Marco's website is marcoslocaladventures.com, but don't expect to find any cheese information on the website.

cccmedia at the Expat cheese desk in Quito

Not sure if this has place has been mentioned yet, but ran across an interesting article on cheese in Salinas de Bolivar. Sounds like it could be a decent place to get a cheese fix.

http://capitolsouthbound.com/2012/10/13 … f-ecuador/

Here’s some more information about the brie I mentioned in passing in Report 45 of this thread from October.

The soft cheese brie -- named for a region of France -- is now produced around the world, and a quality brie has been available on the shelves at Megamaxi Six* in north Quito.

The cow’s-milk product with edible rind is being sold under the Scheidegger brand in a 200 gram size (7 ounces).  The label says it was elaborado (produced) by Floralp company in Ibarra, Ecuador.  It does not indicate the home location of Scheidegger, which was also not found in an Internet search.

* "Megamaxi 6” is located on 6 de Diciembre at the Benalcazar stop of the Ecovía bus line.  The main cheese section is at one end of the seafood-meats-cheese center at the back of the store.  This ‘center’ also offers the largest choice of fresh seafood and fresh meats sized to customer order of any Maxi store I’ve visited in the capital.  Take a number.

Around two months ago at the Megamaxi on 6 de Diciembre, they had a cheese festival. The lower level and corridor leading to the entrance of the hypermarket had numerous cheese vendors giving out ample samples. It was great, and some of the cheeses were quite good, so I was sold and wanted to buy some then and there. The ladies replied you have to buy inside megamaxi. I replied okay, no problem. So, I went inside, and was at the area CCC described above, but they didn’t have not only one type but two types that I wanted.

After completing my shopping, I went back to the vendors outside, and with my limited Spanish told them hey there’s no more cheese, how about selling me from the stock in your fridge. Some of vendors had fridges behind them with loads of cheese. No puedo!  :joking:

Definitely a logistics problem and it was still morning, so not an issue of cheese being sold out.

From the Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon last night:

The Wall Street Journal just reported that America has a surplus of cheese and that every person in the country would have to eat an extra three pounds of cheese this year to get rid of it. So the next time the pizza guy judges you for ordering extra cheese, just say, "I'm doing this for America."

So those of you still in the USA, please have more extra cheese on my behalf. I didn't realize what effect my moving to Ecuador would do to destabilize cheese consumption.

Jimmy Fallon last night:

The Wall Street Journal just reported that America has a surplus of cheese and that every person in the country would have to eat an extra three pounds of cheese this year to get rid of it. So the next time the pizza guy judges you for ordering extra cheese, just say, "I'm doing this for America."

Much as I enjoy good cheese, there’s something to be said for not overdoing it on pizza.

On my recent trip to pizza-crazed Buenos Aires, Argentina, I could feel the effect on my waistline after one week .. and switched to a more seafood-rich selection for my restaurant meals.

If you wish to cut down on the (sometimes greasy) cheese applied at the pizzería, the operative phrase to your order-taker is poquito queso -- pho-KEE-toh KAY-soh.

Bad cheese news here in PA with international implications.   Two Pennsylvania cheese businesses are being punished for selling grated Swiss and mozzarella cheeses that were fraudulently represented as Parmesan and Romano.  A federal judge sentenced Universal Cheese & Drying and International Packing to three years probation and pay $500,000 for their convictions related to the cheese mislabeling.  Last October, a former executive from the Castle Cheese facility in Slippery Rock which has ceased operations, was fined $5,000 and also given 3 years probation.  Although federal inspection reports had raised questions about whether the cheeses had too much cellulose - a filler made from wood pulp- that wasn't an issue in this case.

AP story in The Morning Call 1/21/17

Expatriate health insurance in Ecuador

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Ecuador

Moving to Ecuador

Find tips from professionals about moving to Ecuador

Travel insurance in Ecuador

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Ecuador

Flights to Ecuador

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Ecuador