FInding the right lawyer

So progress, I understood what documents I need to bring with me from israel (Only the Criminal record and it has to be legalized by the embassy and translated), and also what types of visas I could apply for (Visa 9 type2 investment in insurence policy or Visa 9 type 3 investing in a company, there is also the possibility of buying land but it will probably take some time to find it) ... I realize now that I would probably need to find a lawyer (even though not compulsory) to help me and my brother with the process of getting residency and also help us with the legal aspects of our business.  I already found on the net a bunch of law firms settled in Guayaquil, the closest city to our town. So basically what I am asking now if anybody has gone through a similar process and have somebody in mind that he can recommend. The lawyer would need to speak english and located in Guayaquil or Puerto Lopez. :)

Thanks,
The K brothers

Roeyklein wrote:

I understood what documents I need to bring with me from Israel (Only the Criminal record and it has to be legalized by the embassy and translated)....I would probably need to find a lawyer (even though not compulsory) to help me and my brother with the process of getting residency and also help us with the legal aspects of our business....
The K brothers

K Bros.,

Consider the matter of retaining an attorney as close to "compulsory" as possible.  As a former U.S. business owner, I cannot imagine establishing a successful business in bureaucracy-heavy Ecuador without the guidance and support of an experienced attorney.  Among other things, you don't want your Ecuadorian competition telling the authorities that you are violating some arcane law and operating improperly.

With regard to the "criminal record" being the only document you need to bring from home and how it should be endorsed based on what you read on this blog, that also needs to be confirmed by your attorney.  The regs are in continual flux, so any legal guidance for obtaining visas or starting a business that you perceived on our upstanding expat-blog
could be out-of-date or incomplete by the time you file the papaleo.

cccmedia, Quito

Thanks! Yes we don't doubt the fact we will be needing a lawyer and probably some accounting advises for the beginning, even though we are planning on a small buisness to start with. Regarding the documents I made sure with the console of Ecuador I. Israel that we have everything. He also advised us to give power of attorney to our mom just in case we would need to send more documents from Israel.

I thought it's wise to start researching before our arrival. We would need to apply as soon as possible for residency as the papers we bring from Israel are valid only for 180 days.

My Canadian passport visa was about to run out but when I applied for my residency visa, it didn't matter as everything goes on hold until you are processed and either approved or not.  I only speak from my own experience but I highly reccomend a good lawyer.  My Canadian lawyer left a letter out of my last name and it went all through the process until my lawyer here caught the mistake and helped me correct it without me returning to Canada to redo the papers.  I was just informed last night that I have been approved.  Viva Ecuador