Moving London with 2 kids aged 6 &9

Hi,

I am from turkey, Istanbul. My husband have a new job offer in london. His company is in Brentford.
I have some questions about accommodation and education off my kids.
Which borough is the best for living with 2 primary school age kids?
How is the education in state school in london?
My daughter is 6 years old and in 1st class, my son is 9 years old and in 3rd class.
Is it possible to enter the state school in middle of the year? Is it possible and right movement for kids?
My son 's English is at advance level. My daughter is very beginner in English?

Did Anyone has an experience about moving london with school age kids like  before me?
Pls, share your experience .

Thanx in advance.
Ayşegül

I moved from Belgium to London in 2012. My daughter was 11 and sons were 9 and 5. We went to our borough's school section and with a couple of weeks, they started going to schools in the class of their age group, no matter what level of the child's education or english is. My daughter was in class 5 in Belgium from Flemish speaking school but she was admited in year 7 because of her age. My son was going to special school in belgium as he was a slow learner. But the Borough decided to put him into a normal school in the class of his age group i.e. year 5. His level was just of a beginner like he hardly could write abc or 123 and no english at all. But they gave him extra efforts and I am proud that all my kids are enjoying there schools, with excellent level and attention of education. They have almost matched their respective class levels and have made some good friends from local british. (we are French national of Pakistan origin).
Which Borrow is difficult to answer. Mostly it is better to have a place near the workplace of your husband. London is a massive city and to go from one part to other often takes 2-3 hours. The nearest of your husband's workplace would be ideal. Schools, local facilities, stores etc are almost in every Borrough of London and UK, so that should not bother you. We moved to Romford, London. In these beginning, as every new place, it looked different, but now after almost 30 months, we are, feeling like at home, it is our adopted home, hope it will remain our home :) I wish you and your family all the best

Many thanx for your sharing.
My husband 's working place will be Bretford. Therefore we are looking for Richmond borough like chiswick, ealing, kingston, twicenham ect.  Do your kids go to state school or private ones? I heard that bulling is high in state schools in London? Any racism ?
Is it possible to put the kids school in school year, I mean in the middle of school year?

Thnx in advance?

Aysegul

Hello Aysegul,

The areas you are currently looking are all nice family neighbourhoods. They all have good state and private schools. Which type you choose should depend on your children's needs and the money you can spend.

Bullying can exist both in state and private schools. London is a very cosmopolitan city so adults and children alike are used to people from different ethnic backgrounds. Visit the schools, check Ofted's Inspection Reports and talk to the other parents to gather information of the schools in your preferred area. The head of the school is also able to tell you how they can help your children to learn English.

Your kids can start school in the middle of the school year. However, many schools are full so you might not be able to get them accepted in the school of your choice.

Good luck with the move!

Family to London

I actually lived in Chiswick until May this year. We were planning to send our 5 year old son to the International School in Gunnersbury but at the last minute my husband's company decided it was too expensive. I applied for numerous state schools and private schools in the area without result: I had missed the 15th of January inscription deadline for the state schools and ended up paying to be on several waiting lists for private schools (non refundable!). In the end we got so desperate we moved to the Woking-Guildford area in Surrey where I was lucky to find a spot just two days before the school's Open Day. It now takes my husband 1,5 hours to get home from work ...