Vanilla and non vanilla questions

51 yo professional getting ready to go recon Cuenca and Bahia de Caraquez  (I like the beach, my girl likes moderate temps).  I have lifestyle questions.

1. We smoke pot, i know its only decriminalized, but understand its a pot friendly, nation,  will we have challenges getting hooked up?

2. We also like to swing on occasion,  will we find like minded people who like this?

3. Whats the best program to jump start learning conversational spanish?

These are real and serious questions,  most appreciated,

Bob C

Bob C: Welcome to the forum. I can't help on your first two questions, since I don't some pot (these days), nor swing. I'm going to make a guess that swinging will be quite a problem in Ecuador, given the conservative nature of the culture.

On the third question, though, I've found Rosetta Stone works pretty well. And there are some freebie web programs (e.g., Duolingo) that are also helpful. However, nothing is going to work as well, for most people, as sitting down one-on-one or in a small group, with a teacher.

not sure where you might think you will get info on scoring weed in Ecuador.  Recently Uruguay went the decriminalization route.  Most of what I have read concerning Ecuador is very anti drugs including pot and especially cocaine.  Prostitution is part of the culture, but as non-swinger Bob H said, the conservative, male dominated culture would not seem to tolerate swingers much.

As far as swinging, I  meant with other expats.

Thanks!

Wasn't Ecuador supposed to decriminalize drugs, or at least decriminalize small amounts, which were basically for recreational use? Had thought at one point in time Ecuador was thinking of heading that direction. Maybe I was misinformed, or they changed their minds.

As far as swinging, imagine there is probably some swinger clubs, and people who enjoy that lifestyle around, but doubt very much you'd see much advertisement, or anything else for that life. Don't really think it is widely accepted in Ecuador.

rcocmc wrote:

Got it -- thanks for the clarification. However, I have no idea whether there are many swingers in the expat community or not.

If so, they may or may not be willing to answer you here, depending on their personal wishes regarding privacy -- however, maybe you'll get some private messages.

BobH wrote:
rcocmc wrote:

Got it -- thanks for the clarification. However, I have no idea whether there are many swingers in the expat community or not.

If so, they may or may not be willing to answer you here, depending on their personal wishes regarding privacy -- however, maybe you'll get some private messages.

If you intend to smoke weed and swing with expats you may be creating your own little USA subculture, not really becoming part of Ecuador.  You can still watch the Red Sox, Patriots and Celtics on tv, but it seems many who do not succeed as expats wind up leaving because they could not create a miniUSA to their liking in Ecuador.

A general answer to question one. Decriminalized is good news and it would think knowing Español would be helpful. In México for example it is called "coffee" and the local word may be helpful in Ecuador but I'm sure it is plentiful. Move slowly is my suggestion.

Tom

Keltic Tom wrote:

A general answer to question one. Decriminalized is good news and it would think knowing Español would be helpful. In México for example it is called "coffee" and the local word may be helpful in Ecuador but I'm sure it is plentiful. Move slowly is my suggestion.

Tom

Good advise, the small amount is defined as 10 grams.  I did not find anything about coop or growing for your own use, and 10 grams, even if superweed, is not a lot of weight.  Don't Bogart that joint, my friend.

rcocmc

Have you considered Colorado?

I have never Bogart the J. I've been known to fire up a dube in Guadalajara from Humboldt Co. and as sure as the sun raising in the east one of my soccer friends calls out my name with a twist. I'm a José Maria (baptized Thomas Joseph O'Brien - took the name Mary for my Confirmation - weird I know but common in México) José Maria is Che for José and ma for Maria or Chema. The twist is Chemota ... mota being the "weed". "Mi Chemota!" response "Si coma no." My last trip was in 2010 and I had lots of Mr. Nice in hand which one of the youngsters had read about in High Times.
Here is a link to my Flickr Page you may enjoy ... scrolling down will take your south bond on Hwy 101 in CA back to Frisco and the Haight where I lived in 1966 - Flower Power! Post my Air Force days I spent a few fun years in California. I often ended up on (once) or a block away (twice) or a few blocks away of a very famous old road called El Camino Real - The Way of the Royal. It began in Vera Cruz, México Sea Level, when up the hill to México City 7,300' then north on a ridge route to Laredo, TX and on to San Antonio where I now line. The  missions here were built in the 1730s. The Camino then goes west to San Diego then north to San Francisco where the last Mission was built in 1776. Thousands of miles of trail was carved out and dozens of missions dot the landscape in numerous Mexican states and several US states: TX, NM, AZ, CA, NV, CO and UT were all a part of New Spain. Some real history can be found on El Camino aka CA #1, in some places US 101, or known as PCH (Pacific Coast Hwy) or the Leo Cabrillo Hwy. One mission here in SA built an aqueduct to move water over a deep arroyo in 1732 which continues to irrigate thousand of acres south west of SA. The craftsmen are gone. Progress ... yeah!

Peace ... Don Chema 

homboldt

Haight in 1966.  Did you pass the electric kool aid acid test?

Thanks, so far, hope more info will come!

It will surely be on my list and I have no worries but I honestly having never been there. I am almost sure on calling Loja home. Two of Ecuador's finest universities are there plus it is considered by many to be the arts, crafts and music center of Ecuador. I for see no problem at all. And let us not forget that it snows in the Andes. La musica es dulse! <sp>.

Don Chema

No new ifo until I arrive in August.

Don Chema

Mugtech wrote:

"...the small amount is defined as 10 grams."

Correct, Mugtech, Ecuador allows up to 10 grams, which is about a third of an ounce (per Wiki conversion of 1 gram = .0353 ounces). 

EC pot was decriminalised but not legalised in June of 2013 (truthonpot.com).

What is the difference, you ask.  "To decriminalise it would be to make small amounts tolerated...no jail time.  Larger amounts would be considered intent to sell and punishable with imprisonment." (answers.com)

A growing number of countries have arrived at the reality that putting small-time users behind bars makes little sense.

The wikipedia list of other South American countries that have decrim'd marijuana includes Colombia and Argentina and pot is technically LEGAL now in Uruguay (though the law apparently has not taken effect and is being challenged).

Mexico has also decrimin'd marijuana, per the Wiki chart.

cccmedia, Quito

rcocmc wrote:

Thanks!

Lots of them are 65+. Don't have stats on this but can't imagine this would go over big on gringotree.com the primary Cuenca expat website. It is kind of a pensioner crowd.

suefrankdahl wrote:
rcocmc wrote:

Thanks!

Lots of them are 65+. Don't have stats on this but can't imagine this would go over big on gringotree.com the primary Cuenca expat website. It is kind of a pensioner crowd.

I think it would go over great.  Unfortunately the parties would probably start way past our bedtimes...