Where are the greatest concentration of English-speaking ex-pats?

Hi, my wife and I would like to know where there are the greatest concentrations of English-speaking ex-pats in Panama - Americans, Canadians, Brits?

Welcome on the Expat-blog crisismanager! I would suggest you to check the Panama expat network list, this could give you an idea.

Boquete definitely has the highest concentration of foreign permanent residents.  I would say there are close to 1,000 full time residents, mostly English-speaking from various countries around the world in Boquete.  This makes up about 8% of the total population.

Thank you!

Can someone fill me in on Pedasi, Chitre, Las Tablas, Valle de Anton, Penonome and Santiago areas? Any info will do. Thanks,  Joe

[email protected]

There is a very vibrant crowd of ex pats in Casco Viejo that speak English.  My partner and very much enjoy the community feel living in Casco Viejo.

What are prices like in Casco. Viejo where you and your partner live?

Coronado & Boquete!  Coronado is a beach town and Boquete is a mountain town:)

Is Casco Viejo inexpensive. Isn't that what appeals to Expats toward Boquete?

It seems like the more tourists there are in an area, the more likely you are to find people who speak English (eg Boquete, Bocas del Toro, areas of Panama City, etc). But, if you are thinking of living somewhere, there are pros and cons of living in a tourist area. My opinion, if you want to experience a Panamanian way of living, you are more likely to find that if you learn some Spanish and consider less touristy areas. Also, if it's important to you to have shopping, hospitals, other daily needs close by you are less likely to find that in many of the tourist areas.

What sort of information are you looking for? Pedasi is a little beach town, a tourist destination. Las Tablas is also a little town, as is Valle de Anton (I have heard, not been there myself). Chitre is a city with a lot going on, but I believe there are very few expats there. We have only driven though but are very interested in returning and learning more about it. Santiago is also a city, I don't think quite as big as Chitre but it also has a lot going on there. Both Chitre and Santiago are a more reasonable distance from Panama City than David (where we currently live, though we love it here).

What do you want and need? pretty beach town? amenities of a city? quiet rural life? easy to get in and out of the country? expats or no expats? warmer or cooler? drier or more rain? nearby health care? So much is individual preference that it's good to come and see how different areas feel to you.

joe007 wrote:

Can someone fill me in on Pedasi, Chitre, Las Tablas, Valle de Anton, Penonome and Santiago areas? Any info will do. Thanks,  Joe

[email protected]