Hi i need information

Anybody has an idea what the hair and makeup industry is like here in saopaoulo?

It's very good, Brazilian people (men and women) are very very proud of their look and are not shy about spending money to keep it like that!  What kind of business do you have?

Thanks a lot brainyexpat! I run a beauty salon in Nigeria specialized in human hair extension and makeup so am actually thinking of moving my business to saopaulo' currently am in saopauolo visiting but because of the language barrier I can't get the required information?? Am just going to go back home and take a crash course in Portuguese to fit in. Thanks and would gladly welcome more information with regards to this

If you're talking about opening a salon in São Paulo, good luck with that. Like in most South American countries there are three salons on every street corner all of them fighting to stay alive. I know because I lived in São Paulo for many years and my ex-wife was a hair stylist. She hardly made enough to cover her rent and overhead.

There is an absolute glut on the market of "cabeleireiros" all over Brazil, because it is a certificate can be gained here in extremely short time. People without any other kinds of qualifications can purchase a course cheaply and get into the job market.

While BrainyExpat is correct that Paulistas care a lot about how they look and not afraid to spend money on their personal appearance, he neglected to say that they're also quite SELECTIVE too. Given the fact that there are just so many competitors in the city, and more coming onstream all the time; unless you've got something as a catch that's going to differentiate you from the rest of the pack you're in for an uphill struggle.

If you want to open a salon in any upscale neighborhood where you might stand a chance of attracting the upscale clients (with their upscale wallets) then you're going to have to pay nice big fat upscale rents too.

I speak from personal experience with the salon business.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, Expat-blog Experts Team

Thank you!