Pondering with the idea of moving to Sharm......

Hello everyone

I am looking for someone to interact with relating to the possibility of actually biting the bullet and moving to Sharm.  Initially I will not need to work but would like to eventually, unless I can fulfilI my life with all things creative. I would appreciate any advice relating to renting/buying property, cost of living and general life in Egypt.  I'm not looking for any high powered or highly paid job as I really do have the T shirt!! Looking for a simpler way of life and perhaps growing vegetables :)

Hi wendyR63,

welcome to Expat.com! :)

Please do not hesitate to have a look at the other topics on the Egypt forum as well.

I am also pondering the idea of coming to Egypt maybe around the Red Sea too. I have a friend who has a brother in Sharm although I don't know him. I am also into natural living, work with essential oils, teach exercise, do bodywork for pain and injury. I think growing vegetables is so important and sometimes think of buying a fruit field (in South America actually) or doing hydroponic food which might be better for Egypt. I also would like to produce wheat grass because it helps all kinds of sickness and improves anyones health. My goal is to be out of my country (Canada) in about 6 weeks either in Egypt or South America. Well I will watch for this thread and see how things evolve for you. But I think vegetables is the best idea because absolutely everyone needs them. I hope something can work for you with vegetables.

Do you ladies have an idea about prices of vegetables in Egypt?  Its relatively cheap, compared at least with european prices. Most of egyptian consumers care about prices only. The is a growing demand on organic farm produce but its quite a hard business. I know a british lady who owns an organic farm and I know her struggling... Do your homework first and don't think they have only been waiting for you.

Best of luck,

Caty

Apologies folks, when I said growing vegetables it was very tongue in cheek, I was refering more to a simpler way of life than hoping to grow them to sell ;) thank you for your replies :)

oh tongue and cheek, well.... I take my vegetables verrrrrry seriously. I guess I was projecting or something ha ha....okay okay....well I could try advice for buying something how 'bout that? Live somewhere 6 months or even a year before you decide to buy. Buying is easy, it's getting rid of a place that is not. I've heard of people buying property then sell at a big loss because they made a big mistake and didn't know the area, the neighbors, the dogs always barking etc. And often they have to get out fast - and realize living in another country was not for them. And try to get to know some Egyptians to help you find a place even for renting, or you will get a foreigner price. And read all about Egypt from this Expat website and definitely learn what an Orfie marriage hint: it's more of a business deal than anything.

Enjoy your adventure and living a simpler life.

Hi guys, I also am planning to move to sharm since I met someone there. Going back in 2 weeks to see him and go for a couple of job interviews :) I also need to know about childcare as have 2 children who are 8 and 4