How much would I need to budget to move to Brazil

I am considering moving to Brazil to become an ESL Teacher and need to enquire on how much I would need to budget for a two month stay. Also which areas would be ideal for me to move to, in terms of finding jobs and living expenses.

Thanks

pibzy wrote:

I am considering moving to Brazil to become an ESL Teacher and need to enquire on how much I would need to budget for a two month stay. Also which areas would be ideal for me to move to, in terms of finding jobs and living expenses.

Thanks

Welcome to the forum
Brazil is a very difficult country to find work in or to reside in. Our Brazil expert member will surely contact you with relevant information. In the meantime I suggest you read through the many posts on this subject here in this section of the forum.

Hello pibzy,

My friend Stumpy is right, it is very difficult for foreigners to find work in Brazil because laws here obligate employers to prove that they've exhausted all efforts to place a qualified Brazilian in any job vacancies before they can hire a foreign national to fill them.

Then there is the matter of obtaining the appropriate visa. A VITUR Tourist Visa does not permit the holder to work or study in Brazil and limits one's stay to a maximum of 180 days in a one year period. Even obtaining a VITUR in Zimbabwe is going to be extremely difficult.

In order to obtain a VITEM-V Work Visa (renewable for 2 year periods) one must first actually have an employment contract in Brazil, confirmed in writing by the employer. Language schools in Brazil pay near-slave wages at best and they certainly will not offer any assistance whatsoever in terms of the visa process.

With regard to finding any other kind of work one would only find it a bit less difficult if they have graduated with a degree in one of the STEM (science, technology, engineering, mathematics) fields. In most cases jobs are only available in state capitals and major Brazilian cities and the cost of living will be higher there than in smaller towns in the interior.

Permanency pretty tough... well in most cases that involves either marrying a Brazilian citizen, having a Brazilian child, having Brazilian immediate relatives, retiring here (with financial requirements) or investing in starting up a business (min. investment $75 thousand USD).

My suggestion is that you really need to re-think your plans completely with a much more realistic vision of what coming here is really all about.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, Expat-blog Experts Team