Teaching in Mecca and Medinah?

Hi there,

I am interested in taking a position in Saudi Arabia but all the offers I have received are in Riyaadh, Jeddah and Dammam.  I am looking for a position in Mecca or Medinaah. However,  it is somewhat difficult any schools you would recommend.

Also, are there a lot of expats Canadian somalis working in Saudi Arabia?

Hi there,

schools in Mecca aren't that good. not sure about Madinah.

a good option for you would be to teach in Jeddah and be on the doorstep of Mecca.

there are plenty of Somali Canadian working in Riyadh.

Is Jeddah to Mecca considered travelling distance of one needing a Mahraam per Saudi law?

In terms of lifestyle which location would you recommend Jeddah or Riyadh and why?

Likewise, are there any regulations on females expats doing Hajj if they live in the district/province? As, I have read on the Saudi Embassy that all women must have a Mahraam with them to perform Hajj.

I am wondering what is the case of  an expat women who  resides in Jeddah which is still in the Makkah province I believe can they travel alone to perform Hajj? Are there groups they can go with ? Any advice on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

MissSuleiman wrote:

Is Jeddah to Mecca considered travelling distance of one needing a Mahraam per Saudi law?

In terms of lifestyle which location would you recommend Jeddah or Riyadh and why?

Likewise, are there any regulations on females expats doing Hajj if they live in the district/province? As, I have read on the Saudi Embassy that all women must have a Mahraam with them to perform Hajj.

I am wondering what is the case of  an expat women who  resides in Jeddah which is still in the Makkah province I believe can they travel alone to perform Hajj? Are there groups they can go with ? Any advice on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

For me Jeddah is the place to be, many upsides such as having a beach, better weather, more relaxed for women to move around the city etc but most of all being so close to Makkah!

Jeddah to Makkah is not considered as travelling by the scholars and as such it is prohibited to shorten your prayers in Makkah if you reside in Jeddah (except for certain occasions such as Hajj when it is prescribed to do so).

Yes all woman should have a mahram to do Hajj in both Saudi law and as prescribed in Islam. If a woman does not have a mahram then it is not compulsory for her to do hajj.

however this in terms of Saudi law this is more relaxed if they are resident. I went on hajj this year and there were a few woman without mahram and there was no issues in terms of getting permission from the ministry (everyone must apply to ministry as residents are restricted to once every 5 years). this even applies to women who reside in Riyadh and came to do hajj without mahram.

generally I believe female expats who reside in KSA can travel between Riyadh and Jeddah without mahram.

the only thing to consider is how you will travel between Jeddah and Makkah, as you will be unable to drive yourself.

Thank you for the information it is very helpful this will all aid me in my final decision.  I understand the Islamic law I was asking as per Saudi law because I know the distance between Jeddah and Mecca is not considered traveling in Islamic law and that it is permissible for a female to travel such distances alone. Furthermore, that a Mahraam is not a condition for a woman to perform Hajj. Of course I don't think anyone with intellect would travel without a mahraam from the other end of saudi or perhaps across the globe to do hajj breaking a law of Islam (sin) in hopes of gaining reward.
Yes, as I understand women are prohibited to drive in Saudi Arabia but are there not coach rides available for expats if one was to register with a hajj group.